Yes. Even though these injuries have long-term consequences for all victims, differences exist between adult and childhood brain injuries, which means they can’t be treated similarly in a personal injury case.
Brain injuries are some of the most devastating an accident victim can suffer. This is because they temporarily or permanently impair brain function, depending on their severity.
Is There a Difference Between Adult and Childhood Severe Brain Injury?
How a severe brain injury affects children differs from how it affects adults, according to the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ASHA). For instance, children are more vulnerable to sustaining brain injuries due to their thin skulls, and these injuries usually take longer to recover from. In some cases, how a brain injury affects a child may not be evident until they grow older.
Since a child is still growing, their brain is also developing, and they’re yet to acquire specific skills. Therefore, if a child sustains a brain injury, they’ll not experience a loss of particular skills. However, they may never develop or learn specific skills or functions altogether.
On the other hand, if an adult sustains a brain injury, they’ll likely experience a loss of certain functions or abilities. Furthermore, a child affected by a brain injury can train their brain to replace lost skills or functions more quickly than an adult with the same injury.
Brain Injuries in Adults
For adults with brain injuries, it’s easier to determine the true extent of the damage inflicted compared to children. This is because an adult’s personality is already established, and their physical and mental capabilities are known.
For a free legal consultation, call 800-333-9999
What Causes Brain Injuries Among Children and Adults?
Any trauma to the head is enough to cause a brain injury. Various accidents can cause different types of brain injuries, including:
- Assaults and violent acts
- Vehicle accidents
- Pedestrian accidents
- Animal attacks, such as dog bites
- Medical malpractice
- Defective products
- Workplace accidents
- Slip and fall accidents
- Sports and recreational accidents
- Falling objects at construction sites
- Nursing home abuse
- Domestic abuse
- Child abuse
What Are the Different Types of Brain Injuries?
At Isaacs & Isaacs Personal Injury Lawyers, we handle cases involving all kinds of brain injuries, including the following:
- Cerebral edema (swelling in the brain)
- Diffuse axonal injuries
- Intracranial hematomas
- Coup-contrecoup injuries
- Interventricular brain hemorrhages
- Skull fractures
- Intracerebral brain hemorrhages
What Damages Are Awarded in a Brain Injury Lawsuit?
Brain injuries are expensive, requiring long-term medical care, rehabilitation, and physical therapy. Fortunately, Darryl “The Hammer” Isaacs and his in-house litigation team can help you file a lawsuit and recover compensation for the following:
- Medical expenses, including diagnostic fees, ambulance fees, and surgical fees
- Out-of-pocket costs for supervised care
- Pain and suffering
- Temporary or permanent disability
- Reduced or lost quality of life
- Lost wages and benefits
- Lost earning capacity
- Physical therapy, speech therapy, and rehabilitation expenses
- Emotional distress
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
How Can a Traumatic Brain Injury Lawyer Help Your Case?
If you’ve suffered a brain injury, you don’t have to bear the financial burden alone. Our personal injury lawyer can help you build a strong case and pursue compensation for all your losses.
We can do the following to help your case:
- Independently investigate to determine what caused the accident and your head injury
- Identify all liable parties and prove their negligence
- Gather evidence to support your claim, including the police report, witness statements, medical records, photos, videos, etc.
- Protect you against any attempts by the insurance company and the defendant’s legal team to blame you for the accident
- Handle all legal paperwork and communications with the defendant’s team on your behalf
- Negotiate for full settlement with the insurance company and the defendant’s legal team
- Prepare and file a lawsuit for your damages if we cannot settle your injury case
- Fight for your financial award at trial if necessary
How Much Does Legal Representation from a Brain Injury Lawyer Cost?
Our law firm understands that you have a lot on your plate and the cost of hiring a lawyer is the last thing on your mind. Fortunately, our traumatic brain injury attorneys work on contingency. This arrangement means you pay legal fees only if we recover a settlement or court-ordered award on your behalf.
Contact Us Today for a Free Consultation
You and your loved ones have much to deal with after a brain injury. Isaacs & Isaacs Personal Injury Lawyers can make the recovery process manageable and lead your case for damages. We understand how a severe brain injury affects children and adults differently and can offer legal representation in both kinds of cases. If you have a severe brain injury, we can take care of your legal matters while you focus on your recovery.
Call us today for a free consultation to learn more about the effects of a severe brain injury and how you could recover compensation for your losses.