Highway drivers are used to sharing the roads with semi trucks carrying oversized loads and heavy cargo and trust those truck companies, loaders, and drivers to carry their cargo safely. When loads are not properly secured and break through their tie downs, they can hit other vehicles and vehicle occupants, causing devastating injuries and property damage.
If you, your loved ones, or your property has been damaged in this kind of accident, consult with an unsecured truckload lawyer from Isaacs & Isaacs. We will fight to get you a financial settlement covering your losses and holding those responsible for them accountable.
Trucking Companies and Drivers Are Responsible for Securing Cargo
You have probably seen 18-wheelers carrying everything from lumber to construction equipment to scrap metal to furniture and appliances, and just about anything else that has to get from one place to another in large quantities. It is easy to see how dangerous these materials can be if they become unsecured.
To ensure the safety of all drivers and vehicles, the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) has set strict regulations for securing truck loads, and trucking companies, drivers, or others responsible for loading and transporting these heavy materials must comply with them.
These FMSCA’s extensive regulations establish, among other requirements,
- Appropriate tie-downs for securing particular types of loads
- Proper use and placement of tie-downs
- Required number of tie-downs
- Proper placement and distribution of cargo
There are additional requirements for specific types of cargo, rates of loaded trucks’ acceleration and deceleration, and measures for ensuring loads do not shift and put the truck off balance.
Unsecured Load Truck Accidents
There are a number of ways unsecured cargo can cause accidents, injuries, and property damage. Unsecured loads can
- Crash through a windshield or otherwise collide with other vehicles.
- Land in the driving path of others who may crash into it or swerve to avoid it and collide with other cars.
- Shift and cause the truck to become unbalanced, forcing the driver to swerve or causing the truck to tip over. Either scenario can impact other cars on the road.
- Spill, if liquid, causing other drivers to hydroplane or otherwise lose control of their vehicles.
Not all unsecured truckload accidents look the same, but they are all caused by cargo that somehow comes loose of its tie-downs, leading to an event or chain of events that causes damage to other vehicles and drivers.
How Truck Loads Become Unsecure
Even seemingly insignificant factors can affect the stability of a truckload, which is why the FMCSA is so specific in regulating how cargo must be loaded and secured. Cargo shifts or releases can result from
- Steep hills or sharp curves
- Truck vibrations
- High winds
- Worn or weakened tie downs
- Failure to use the proper number and type of tie-downs
Truck companies and drivers owe everyone on the road a duty of care. They are obligated to load and operate their vehicles in ways that protect the safety of others. It is their duty to follow FMCSA regulations and account for factors that can affect the security of their cargo.
If they breach this duty, an unsecured loads truck accident attorney from Isaacs & Isaacs will hold them responsible.
The Aftermath of an Unsecured Loads Truck Accident
Whether your vehicle was hit by flying debris, collided with debris that landed in the road, crashed with another vehicle because of the loose cargo, collided with a truck whose shifting cargo caused it to jack-knife or overturn, or was otherwise affected by unsecured cargo, the damage to you and your property will be extensive.
- Physical Injuries: When an accident involves flying objects traveling at high speeds or collisions with massive trucks, injuries are generally severe. You may sustain broken bones, spinal cord damage, head and brain trauma, internal injuries, amputations, or disfigurement.
- Property Damage: Damage to your vehicle will require expensive repair or render the car a total loss.
- Emotional Trauma: The experience of the accident itself will cause emotional distress. That trauma will be compounded by your physical pain and other consequences of your injuries.
- Reduced Quality of Life: Some injuries are life-altering, changing your ability to care for yourself and your household, engage with loved ones, or participate in activities as you did prior to the accident.
Build a Strong Case with an Unsecured Loads Truck Accident Lawyer
After an accident, it is best to have an attorney manage your claim and build your case. This is especially true in an unsecured loads truck accident, where there may be multiple negligent parties and several insurance companies to contend with, and where you need someone with legal expertise to track down all available evidence.
Isaacs & Isaacs has an extensive record of successful claims. You can trust that your experienced lawyer from our team will
- File all required legal documents accurately and within the statute of limitations.
- Collect comprehensive evidence, including witness statements, truck-driver logs, available video or photo footage, medical reports, employment status, medical prognosis, and other relevant information.
- Communicate with you and advocate for you relentlessly.
- Handle all negotiations and communication with at-fault parties, insurance companies, or other representatives.
- Protect you from unethical insurance company practices or offers of low settlements.
- Fight for the highest possible settlement to cover your medical expenses, lost income, and property, bring you a measure of justice, and acknowledge your pain and suffering.
- Represent you at all proceedings should your case go to trial.
When the negligence of truck companies, drivers, or other parties responsible for securing cargo loads brings you great physical, financial, and emotional harm, they need to be held accountable, compensating you for the damages they caused.
You Deserve Financial Compensation and Justice
Unsecured truckload accidents are preventable. When you suffer because others failed to do their jobs properly, you and your loved ones should not have to bear the financial burdens caused by this carelessness. Start working toward financial recovery and justice today.
Request a free consultation with an expert unsecured truck loads accident lawyer from Isaacs & Isaacs. We are on your side.