Suppose a driver hits you while on a bicycle. You may sue them for your losses. An insurance claim could provide the coverage that you need.
While the circumstances of each bicycle accident matter, motorists must be careful to avoid bicyclists. We can review your case and determine if you deserve compensation for your losses.
What Should I Do If I Was Involved in a Bicycle Accident?
Your rights are of great concern as the victim of a bicycle accident. Hiring a lawyer may be your first course of action, though getting medical treatment is equally important.
If you have already received medical treatment, you should keep all documentation, including:
- Digital or physical receipts for your medical visit
- Diagnoses of your injuries
- Images of injuries, whether it is an X-ray, CT scan, or other types of medical images
- Any other documentation related to your injuries
If you have a copy of the police report from your accident, you should keep that safe. An attorney can help you obtain and protect these documents.
A lawyer from our team can also help you by:
- Obtaining contact info, personal details, and insurance information from the motorist that hit you
- Visiting the scene of your accident, looking for any evidence that may be useful in your case
- Protecting you from insurance companies, who may pressure you to give a statement, accept an unfair settlement, or even admit fault for your accident
Having an attorney on your side is never a bad idea. If you have significant injuries, you may be entitled to substantial compensation. A personal injury attorney can protect and advise you so that you do not forfeit any compensation you’re entitled to.
For a free legal consultation, call 800-333-9999
Who is Liable When a Driver Hits a Bicyclist?
We must assess this question on a case-by-case basis. If a driver violates their duty of care, they are generally liable. A motorist can violate their duty of care by:
- Driving their vehicle in the bicycle lane
- Encroaching on a crosswalk when a bicyclist is lawfully crossing the road
- Running a red light, stop sign, or another traffic signal (and striking a bicyclist)
- Driving too closely behind a bicyclist who is riding on the roadway
- Passing another vehicle, driving into an oncoming bicyclist
- Doing anything else that increases the odds of a collision with a bicyclist
A bicyclist can contribute to a collision. However, in most states, a bicyclist may still recover compensation even if they’re partially responsible for their accident.
Recoverable Damages in a Bicycle Accident Case
Whether you have suffered injuries, lost a loved one, or are helping a loved one with severe injuries, our firm can seek the compensation you deserve.
Recoverable damages in a bicycle accident case may include:
- Your pain and suffering: When a bicyclist is struck by a motor vehicle, injuries are all but guaranteed. Unlike those riding in a motor vehicle, you have very little protection on a bicycle. The pain of your injuries can be significant. You may also suffer from chronic pain, emotional anguish, traumatic memories, lost sleep, and poor quality of life.
- Lost income: If you miss work while recovering, we may be able to replace lost income. You may also need coverage for lost work-related benefits, like unfulfilled performance bonuses, employer-matched retirement contributions, and other financial perks.
- Medical expenses: Liable parties should cover each accident-related medical cost.
Our system generally holds drivers accountable when their reckless actions cause others harm. You deserve justice as a bicyclist suffering the ill effects of a motorist’s negligence. Our firm can fight for the financial recovery you deserve.
How We Fight for Bicycle Accident Victims
When we represent a bicycle accident victim, we generally:
- Help them get any medical care that they need
- Assess their case, gathering facts, evidence, and witness accounts
- Document each of their damages, assigning them a monetary price tag
- Determine the total cost of their losses
- Advise them on whether to file an insurance claim or lawsuit
- Handle the claims or legal process for them
- Negotiate a settlement
- Proceed to trial, when necessary
These are duties that we can perform for you or your loved one. Your only focus now should be on returning to full strength. We can handle your case for compensation.
Call Isaacs & Isaacs Personal Injury Lawyers Today to Discuss Your Case
We can complete a free consultation, which comes with absolutely no obligations. Isaacs & Isaacs Personal Injury Lawyers has recovered $1 billion in settlements for clients, and our case victories show you that we can get actual results for our clients.
Don’t wait to call. We may have a short window to file your case. Call Isaacs & Isaacs Personal Injury Lawyers today for your free consultation.