Car insurance sometimes covers bicycle accidents. It depends on what happened, the type of insurance you have, and who was at fault for the accident. To understand your options, it’s essential to review the potentially liable policy, including what it covers.
It can also help to get advice from an experienced attorney. They can manage the claims process while you focus on feeling better.
Whether Car Insurance Covers Bicycle Accidents Depends on Your Situation
Whether car insurance covers your losses depends on your situation. For instance, if you were struck by a negligent motorist, you could file a claim with their insurer to seek compensation. However, if you were hurt due to defective roadway conditions, you could seek coverage from the government agency responsible for that area.
For a free legal consultation, call 800-333-9999
What Does Insurance Typically Cover?
If you were injured in a car-on-bicycle accident, you could seek recovery through the at-fault party’s auto insurance policy. Yet, the specifics of what the liable policy covers may vary.
Here are just a few components of auto insurance:
- Liability coverage: Liability insurance covers the injured party’s damages in a car accident. Most states (except Virginia and New Hampshire) require motorists to carry liability insurance.
- Personal injury protection (PIP) coverage: If you get hurt in a car accident, personal injury protection coverage can help cover your injury expenses regardless of who was at fault for the accident. Not everyone carries this type of insurance.
- Uninsured or underinsured motorist coverage: This coverage pays for your medical costs if another driver doesn’t have insurance or doesn’t have enough insurance to cover your damages.
Each state has different regulations for the car insurance you need, and often, insurance companies offer additional coverage not required by the state.
You Should Review Your Insurance Coverage Policy
It is helpful to regularly review what your insurance covers and what it does not. When you get auto insurance, you can ask questions to understand what is covered.
For example, ask, “Does this policy cover bicycle accidents?” That way, if you’re ever involved in one, you’ll know what financial recovery options you have.
If you bike frequently, you should look into getting PIP coverage. That way, you can pursue compensation regardless of who’s at fault. PIP coverage generally offers compensation for your medical bills and a portion of your lost income. Yet, every policy is different.
What Damages Can I Recover Through an Insurance Claim?
If you were injured in a bicycle accident, what you can recover depends on the liable insurance policy. Some potentially recoverable damages include:
- Healthcare expenses, including the cost of ambulance transportation and hospitalization
- Doctors’ visits
- Physical therapy and rehabilitation
- Lost income, including lost tips, bonuses, and employee benefits
- Property damage expenses
- Wrongful death-related losses, including funeral, burial, and end-of-life medical costs
Whether your insurance coverage includes pain and suffering depends on your situation.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
You Have Legal Options if Insurance Doesn’t Cover Your Losses
Not all insurance companies want to negotiate in good faith, meaning you could have a hard time recovering damages through an insurance claim. In that instance, you could file a lawsuit against the at-fault party.
Depending on where you live, you could only have a few years to file your lawsuit. This makes it critical to understand your legal options. If you have problems recovering what you need, you can partner with an injury lawyer. They can manage everything your case requires and fight for a fair outcome.
You Have the Right To Partner with a Bicycle Accident Lawyer
When you partner with a lawyer, they can:
- Gather evidence to support your claim or lawsuit
- Manage all communications with the injured party
- Interview witnesses and consult with field experts
- Determine how your accident happened
- Review the liable insurance policy
- Offer help on a contingency-fee basis
- Evaluate the cost of your injury-related losses
Your bicycle accident lawyer will do everything in their power to recover compensation for your injury-related losses.
Why Partner with Isaacs & Isaacs Personal Injury Lawyers?
Our team serves injured people in Kentucky, Ohio, and Indiana. Since 1993, we’ve recovered more than $1 billion for injured people. When you partner with our team, you can expect:
- Responsive legal care
- Help without paying any upfront fees or costs
- A free case review
- Support from our entire legal team
We’re committed to doing everything possible to recover compensation for your injury-related losses.
Begin a Free Case Review with Our Injury Team
After a bicycle accident, you may feel overwhelmed and uncertain about what to do next. Isaacs & Isaacs Personal Injury Lawyers is ready to pursue the compensation you deserve. Exploring your options begins with a free case review from our injury team. Call today to connect with our firm.