Anyone can suffer from a catastrophic injury. They can occur while driving, on the job, or simply walking down the street. Catastrophic injuries typically refer to conditions that are so severe that they prevent you from working. What’s worse, another party may have caused your catastrophic injury.
Luckily, if you believe another party caused your injuries, you may have the grounds for a lawsuit or insurance settlement. Our Westfield catastrophic injury lawyers can advise you on your next steps.
Have I Suffered from a Catastrophic Injury?
As noted earlier, catastrophic injuries can harm your earning capacity. They may include:
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBIs)
- Severely broken bones
- Other severe or life-threatening injuries
These accidents can occur in variety of contexts. For example, your catastrophic injury may have been caused by:
- A dog bite
- A bicycle accident
- A truck accident
- A slip and fall accident
- A pedestrian accident
- A motorcycle accident
- Another consequential accident
For a free legal consultation with a catastrophic injury lawyer serving Westfield, call 800-333-9999
What Is the Value of a Catastrophic Injury Case?
These cases are rarely identical. A dog bite will cause different injuries than a truck accident. Injury type and severity are at the heart of a catastrophic injury case. Given that they can vary from case to case, it’s hard to estimate a case’s value without an in-depth review.
However, you can count on most catastrophic injury cases involving a similar set of damages. Damages are the types of losses you can receive compensation for, and may include:
- Long-term rehabilitative support
- Reduced earning capacity
- Damaged personal property, if your belongings were destroyed in the accident
- The loss of a close personal relationship, if your case involves a wrongful death
- Funeral expenses
- Pain and suffering
- Other emotional trauma
You don’t have to do the math on these damages on your own. A Westfield catastrophic injury lawyer can take charge of your case. They’ll provide an accurate estimate of your case’s value and help you pursue compensation.
Westfield Catastrophic Injury Lawyer Near Me 800-333-9999
Am I Required to Hire a Catastrophic Injury Lawyer?
No, you aren’t required to hire a lawyer. In some cases, it’s possible to proceed as a “pro se” litigant, which is a fancy term for someone without a legal representative.
At Isaacs & Isaacs Personal Injury Lawyers, we advise against this approach. Handling a legal case requires both experience and expertise. Catastrophic injury law isn’t simple. If the liable party’s representatives know that you don’t have a lawyer, they may try to take advantage of you.
These are a few ways a catastrophic injury lawyer could protect your best interests:
Determine Who Is Liable
Personal injury lawsuits and insurance settlements require a liable party. Without one, it may be difficult to pursue compensation.
To determine who is liable for your injuries, a lawyer can review these facts:
- Your medical records
- Footage or images of the accident scene
- Eyewitness testimonies
- Expert reviews
- Invoices that demonstrate your financial losses
This information will go towards establishing the four elements of liability. These work as qualifiers, meaning that your lawyer will have to prove that they are true to assign liability. They’ll work to show that:
- The liable party owed you a duty of care: Maybe they were another driver on the road or a business owner. Regardless, they were in a position where their negligence could hurt another party.
- They failed to adhere to this duty of care: Sometime before or during the accident, the liable party must have behaved in a negligent manner. To use the previous examples, the driver could have started speeding or the business owner might have failed to keep their walkways safe.
- Causation: Evidence must show a link between the negligent behavior and your injuries.
- Damages: For this portion, your lawyer will use your medical records to show that you have suffered catastrophic injuries because of your accident.
File Your Lawsuit or Insurance Settlement
A catastrophic injury lawyer can help you with filing your lawsuit or insurance claim. They will prepare and submit documents on your behalf.
Protect You from Unfair Insurance Practices
Insurance companies are businesses. In the end, their goal isn’t to help you recover from your injuries; it’s to turn a profit. If your medical expenses are too high, they may offer you an unfair settlement.
A catastrophic injury lawyer will be familiar with these practices. They can:
- Identify lowball settlements
- Advise you on meeting and speaking with insurers
- Protect you from bad faith insurance behaviors
Why Choose Isaacs & Isaacs Personal Injury Lawyers?
Sometimes, it’s best to let the numbers do the talking. We’ve won over $1 billion in settlements for our clients. Notable catastrophic injury settlements include:
- $6.5 million for the family of a child injured in a school bus accident
- $1.025 million for a motorcyclist who was hit by a truck
- $710,000 for a woman who was left unable to walk after a car accident
Winning a case is only part of the battle, though. We strive to make our clients comfortable along the journey, too. We work to make sure that you’re consistently updated on the status of your case and all your legal questions are answered.
This approach has led to many satisfied clients. Read what they have to say about Isaacs & Isaacs Personal Injury Lawyers:
- “I have had the best experience with Isaacs & Isaacs. Cherry and Karen have been very helpful and accommodating with me. If there’s anything that I don’t understand, they don’t mind explaining the issue and assuring me that everything will be fine.” – Diane W.
- “I highly recommend if you are ever injured to call Isaacs & Isaacs. It is honestly the best decision I ever made. They are very patient and very caring. I absolutely 100% recommend Isaacs & Isaacs.” – Melissa G.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Don’t Miss Your Catastrophic Injury Case Deadline
Catastrophic injury cases are subject to Indiana’s personal injury statute of limitations. Per IC § 34-11-2-4, this deadline is two years.
A deadline shouldn’t bar you from fighting for compensation. Don’t let your case get away from you. Get started as soon as you can.
Contact a Catastrophic Injury Lawyer Today
You and your family deserve a fair settlement. We’re ready to fight for the residents of Westfield, Indiana. There’s no comfort like knowing you have 400 years of combined legal experience in your corner.
Our lawyers work on contingency. You won’t have to pay us any upfront fees or costs. We’re on the same team, so we’ll only get paid if you succeed in winning your case.
All it takes is one call.