Bicycles, like vehicles, are allowed to drive on roads as long as cyclists comply with traffic regulations. To avoid accidents, vehicle drivers must navigate carefully in the presence of cyclists. When bicycle accidents occur, cyclists are the ones who suffer the most damage.
A bicycle accident lawyer at Isaacs & Isaacs Personal Injury Lawyers can help if you were involved in a bicycle accident in South Bend.
Possible Injuries from Bicycle Accidents
Although most regions of the United States have implemented helmet regulations for all cyclists who use roads, head injuries remain very common. According to the National Safety Council (NSC), about one-third of non-fatal bicyclist injuries are head injuries. Head injuries can seriously impact motor function, memory, thought processes, and temper.
Other possible bicycle accident injuries include:
- Partial, temporary, or permanent brain damage
- Back or neck injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Nerve damage
- Skin abrasions
- Road rash
- Bone fractures
- Eye or mouth injuries
- Collapsed lungs
- Dislocated joints
If you or a family member has suffered a bicycle accident that someone else caused, you can file a claim for damages to obtain financial compensation.
For a free legal consultation with a bicycle accidents lawyer serving South Bend, call 800-333-9999
Compensation Eligibility in Bicycle Accidents
Indiana uses the “51 percent rule” to determine compensation eligibility. That means if you are 51 percent or more at fault for an accident, you cannot recover any compensation, per IC 34-51-2-5.
There are some actions you can take while riding a bicycle to ensure you bear little to no fault for any accident you may be involved in. You may:
- Wear bright colors to increase your visibility to drivers.
- Use a bicycle lane when available.
- If riding on the road, ride with the traffic.
- Don’t ride on the sidewalk.
- Use lights when riding after dark.
- Always wear a helmet.
- Use hand signals when turning.
- Keep your hands on the handlebars.
- Make sure your tires are properly inflated and the rest of your bike is in good working condition.
- Do not ride under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
These practices can help keep you safe from bicycle accidents and may increase your chances of obtaining fair compensation following a collision.
South Bend Bicycle Accident Lawyer Near Me 800-333-9999
What Compensation Are You Eligible For?
You may be eligible for economic and non-economic damages after a bicycle accident.
Economic damages generally have a clear financial value. Common economic damages include:
- Current and future medical bills
- Current and future lost wages
- Property damage
Other types of economic damages may exist in your case.
You may also pursue coverage for non-economic damages such as pain and suffering. It may be necessary to present reports from mental health specialists that show the accident has caused you to develop a condition such as:
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Loss of sleep
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
If you suffer from any of these conditions or other mental and emotional stress after an accident, you may add these damages to your claim.
Who’s Liable for Your Injuries?
Even if you think it’s obvious who caused your injuries, you and your personal injury lawyer must gather evidence to prove who was at fault in your bicycle accident case. Such evidence may include:
- Police and traffic reports
- Photos and videos of the accident scene
- Evidence of property damage
If the responsibility for a bicycle accident falls on the driver of the vehicle that caused the collision, this person should generally compensate the victim for all the injuries and damages suffered. They may also be accountable for replacing damaged property, such as your bicycle, glasses, and helmet.
A lawyer can help you determine who is responsible for your accident and gather the evidence necessary to prove fault.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
How Can an Indiana Bicycle Accident Lawyer Help You?
If your bicycle accident resulted in serious injuries, it might be helpful to hire a lawyer to assist you. Your damages may add up to more than you originally thought, and you don’t want to end up with less than what you deserve or need.
Our lawyers fully understand your position and needs, as we have helped many victims like you. Isaacs & Isaacs Personal Injury Lawyers has over 400 years of combined legal experience and has recovered more than $1 billion for clients in Kentucky, Indiana, and Ohio.
We also have an in-house litigation team and Spanish-speaking attorneys and paralegals. These services are meant to make you feel more comfortable and confident in our team.
What We Do for Bike Accident Victims in South Bend
Our team is familiar with the civil legal process. Though your case will be completely unique from all others we’ve handled, our attorneys will typically:
- Complete a thorough investigation of your bicycle accident in South Bend: Our attorneys are always prepared to visit an accident scene when circumstances allow them to. We also contact witnesses, gather any evidence that liable parties possess, and take other steps to learn the whole story of your accident. We will leave no stone unturned.
- Identify and value all of your damages: It’s crucial to identify all of your damages. Without understanding what your damages are and how much they will cost you, we cannot negotiate a fair settlement.
- Determine whether insurance covers your losses: For some bicyclists, insurance will cover their losses. Our team will determine whether an insurance claim is a viable option for you.
- Notify liable parties of legal action: In some cases, we’ll need to notify liable parties that you’re taking legal action against them.
- Deal with insurance companies and attorneys: Insurance reps and attorneys are risks to your rights. We deal with these parties for you.
- Negotiate a settlement: Most civil cases settle. Our firm, however, never settles unless the offer is right for our client. We will likely pursue a settlement on your behalf, but we’ll go to trial if circumstances require us to.
- Protect your rights: Once we accept your case, defending your rights becomes our top priority. You don’t have to worry about anyone taking advantage of you once you hire Isaacs & Isaacs Personal Injury Lawyers.
An attorney from our firm does what you need them to do. No two bicycle accident cases are exactly alike. Rather than telling you what we’ll do for you, we vow to provide the representation that you need.
Our attorneys and staff always put the client first. As our client, you will get:
- Access to all of our firm’s resources, including but not limited to paralegals, investigators, and experts
- Empathy for the hardship that you’re facing
- Direct access to your attorney
- Quick responses to your phone calls and emails
- A team that is dedicated to securing justice for you or your loved one
If you try to handle your bicycle accident case on your own, then your health could suffer. These cases are generally time-consuming and taxing—psychologically and even physically.
Our team will lead your case so that you can get better, not worse.
Client Reviews for Isaacs & Isaacs Personal Injury Lawyers
We are proud of our client reviews, which include:
- dealing with family instead of a legal process.” – Tammy S., former
- “It was a pleasure to have the Isaacs & Isaacs team help me after being hit by a truck. They went above and beyond to help with all I went through.” – JoAnn S., former client
- “John came to our house and went over the legal part of it thoroughly and quickly, but he always made it more about us. I would recommend them to anybody because they’re going to make sure that you’re protected. It always felt like we were dealing with family.” – unnamed former client
We want to add you to the list of former clients who’ve had a positive experience with Isaacs & Isaacs Personal Injury Lawyers.
How Much Does It Cost to Hire a Lawyer?
Isaacs & Isaacs Personal Injury Lawyers will listen to details of your case free of charge, with no upfront fees or costs.
We also work on a contingency fee basis, which means our lawyers will only receive a percentage of compensation from the claim if we win your case. If we lose, you will not be charged for our services.
Contact Isaacs & Isaacs Personal Injury Lawyers Today for a Free Consultation
Isaacs & Isaacs Personal Injury Lawyers will fight for your rights and help you recover from your accident. Our attorneys’ advice can help you feel more secure in your legal standing when filing a bicycle accident claim. Our help may also lighten the strain your accident has caused.
By contacting us, you can receive a free consultation from a member of our team. We will handle your case with complete confidentiality. Let our attorneys take care of settling your legal case while you recover and spend time with your loved ones.