Bicycle accidents can be devastating to the victims. A crash can cause a long list of injuries depending on the force of the impact, including broken bones, concussions, brain trauma, and back pain. Often, these injuries can be treated with surgery or recovery time that lasts for months, but even worse, these physical injuries can result in wrongful death.
If you’ve been injured in an accident, you should seek the assistance of a bicycle accident lawyer as soon as possible to protect your claim.
Somerset Bicycle Accident Lawyer
After a fatal crash, injuries for the biker are often severe, devastating, and difficult to deal with. Even though bike accidents can be traumatizing, consult a lawyer soon for legal help as you transition back to normalcy soon after the incident.
Reaching out to the Somerset bicycle accident attorney can increase your chances of getting the appropriate compensation you deserve for your suffering.
For a free legal consultation with a bicycle accidents lawyer serving Somerset, call 800-333-9999
Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents
Bicycle accidents can happen for several reasons, but sometimes, the cause may not always be clear. As such, it’s essential to work with a bicycle accident attorney to determine the actual cause of your accident and who should be held liable for your injuries.
Some common causes of bicycle accidents include:
Distracted driving occurs when a motorist engages in any activity that diverts their attention from driving. Common examples include texting, talking on the phone, or eating while driving. When motorists engage in these activities, they are more likely to collide with bicyclists sharing the road with them.
Riding on Sidewalks and Crosswalks
Even if it’s legal for you to ride your bike on sidewalks in your town, it might not be a good idea. It’s hard for cars to see you when riding on the sidewalk because pedestrians typically use those areas. It’s best to stay on the road whenever possible – especially in areas where cars are turning or crossing over. Using sidewalks could lead to severe injuries if other motorists lose control and veer off the road.
Potholes and Uneven Pavements
Poorly maintained roads are a common cause of bicycle accidents, resulting in injuries when a biker hits a pothole or suddenly needs to swerve to avoid one. The hazard of potholes and uneven pavement is hazardous for bikers because they do not have the safety protection offered by automobiles, such as airbags or seatbelts.
Many bicycle accidents are caused by defective parts, such as brakes that malfunction or tires that suddenly blow out. In some cases, the manufacturer may be at fault for these defects, either because they failed to design the product correctly or failed to warn consumers about potential dangers associated with their products.
Motor Vehicle Collisions
Bike riders are especially vulnerable to injury in car crashes because they do not benefit from seatbelts or airbags. When drivers fail to respect the right-of-way of bicyclists, they can be held liable for any injuries.
Not Following Traffic Laws
Bicycles are considered vehicles on the road and must follow all traffic laws, but drivers may not give them appropriate right-of-way or respect their space sometimes. If you are hit by a driver who didn’t follow the traffic laws, they can be held responsible for your injuries.
A large vehicle like a truck or bus can easily overlook a bicyclist in its blind spot. This can lead to a serious accident if the car turns into the bicyclist’s path or changes lanes too close.
Somerset Bicycle Accident Lawyer Near Me 800-333-9999
Common Situations Involved in Bicycle Accidents
Whether you are a recreational or professional cyclist, the dangers you face from other vehicles on the road cannot be overstated.
You need to be aware of several everyday situations that can lead to accidents and injuries, such as:
- Vehicles Turning Left: Most bicycle accidents happen when cars turn left at an intersection and ignore bicycles already on their way. This is more common when there are no traffic signals at intersections or when they fail to work. In this case, any cyclist who rides through an intersection must take extra caution to avoid getting hit by a moving vehicle.
- Vehicles Turning Right: Bicycles also get struck by cars turning right at intersections, although not as often as when they turn left. The danger is similar: drivers don’t look for cyclists while making their turn, so it’s up to you to take precautions.
- Collisions in Intersections: Many accidents occur when cars collide with cyclists in an intersection with either a stop sign or traffic light. Motorists who are used to watching out for other vehicles forget about cyclists and can smash into them as they cross an intersection. Again, you should do your part to remain alert and avoid this situation.
- Rear-end Collisions: When a biker rides ahead of other vehicles on the road, it’s likely to get hit from behind as some drivers might fail to notice it at first glance and end up crashing into it. To avoid such collisions, cyclists should ride in lanes with designated bike lanes or ride with traffic flow on the right side of the road where cars can see them easily.
- Dooring: When a driver or passenger opens a car door in the path of an oncoming cyclist, it can knock the rider off the bike, throwing the person onto the pavement where they can be run over by another vehicle.
Recoverable Damages in Bicycle Accidents
Injuries sustained in a bicycle accident can be devastating, leaving you with astronomical medical bills and other damages. If you are involved in a bicycle accident, knowing what damages are recoverable is essential.
The following are some of the damages you could recover:
- Medical bills
- Lost income
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Let Our Bicycle Accident Lawyer Handle Your Claim
While cycling is a great way to get around and stay active, you must be aware of the legal precautions you can take to stay safe on your bike. If you’ve been injured in such an accident, consult Isaacs & Isaacs Personal Injury Lawyers for legal guidance.
Our in-house litigation team can review your case and determine the liable parties. We have recovered $1 billion in settlements for our clients, and we’ll do the same for you. Contact us today to get started.