Catastrophic injuries are sudden and unexpected and may significantly reduce life quality. Injuries to the brain and spine are classified as catastrophic as they may leave you immobile, effectively derailing your ability of self-sustenance. The accident may also leave you or your loved one traumatized, anxious, and depressed, further affecting your well-being.
At Isaacs & Isaacs Personal Injury Lawyers, we can represent you or your loved one after suffering catastrophic injuries due to someone else’s negligence. You have the right to pursue compensation from the at-fault party with the assistance of one of our Radcliff catastrophic injury lawyers.
How a Catastrophic Injury Lawyer in Radcliff Can Help
Recovering from a catastrophic injury takes a lot of time and energy. If the injury is severe, you may not be able to work while you recuperate. Handling a claim yourself is challenging in the best of circumstances and your injury will make it much more difficult.
An attorney could help in the following ways:
- Conduct private investigations to determine how the liable party caused the injury
- Get the accounts of people who witnessed the incident
- Analyze the severity of your injury and damages
- Determine the recoverable damages you’re owed
- Determine the amount of money you should receive as compensation
- Seek an out-of-court settlement from the liable party or their insurance on your behalf
- File a claim in court if a settlement isn’t possible
- Advise and guide you through the entire legal process
- Represent you in court
For a free legal consultation with a catastrophic injury lawyer serving Radcliff, call 800-333-9999
Compensatory Damages You Could Recover
The compensation you receive will depend on the extent of your injury and the circumstances in which the accident happened. In most cases, these are the recoverable damages a victim might receive:
- Emergency medical fees, including ambulance costs, ER treatment, emergency surgeries, and other life-saving procedures
- Post-injury medical fees, including admission fees, medication, and doctor’s consultation fees
- Future medical costs, including check-ups and home care
- Specialist treatment, e.g., physiotherapy, reconstructive surgery, rehabilitation, and psychological treatment
- Emotional distress, like anxiety, post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), and depression
- Pain, suffering, and anguish
- Lost income and wages you didn’t receive immediately after the accident
- Loss of future income if you cannot work again due to your injury
Radcliff Catastrophic Injury Lawyer Near Me 800-333-9999
Deadline for Filing a Catastrophic Injury Claim
In Kentucky, Ky. Rev. Stat. §413.140(1) states that you have one year after suffering an injury to file a claim. This doesn’t apply to car accidents.
Ky. Rev. Stat. §304.39-230 gives you two years from the car accident date, while Ky. Rev. Stat. §413.180 gives the surviving family members one year after the victim’s death to file a claim or lawsuit. If you don’t file your claim within this period, your case will likely be deemed invalid.
What to Do After a Catastrophic Injury
You can sustain catastrophic injuries in various ways. Your response to the incident will determine the extent of the damage your injury causes and your chances of receiving fair compensation.
As such, we recommend following these steps after getting injured:
- Seek medical attention immediately: Medical personnel can provide first aid and handle you properly to prevent the risk of further injury, especially after a road accident.
- Report the accident to the authorities: If you cannot make the report, someone else should do it on your behalf. If it was a workplace accident, report the incident according to your company’s guidelines, as this will come in handy when seeking compensation.
- Collecting witness statements and contact information: When an accident happens, you’ll be better positioned to file a claim if several people can corroborate your story. A Radcliff catastrophic injury attorney could do this for you.
- Collect evidence: This could be pictures of the accident scene or your injuries. It would be best to write down everything you remember about the incident.
- Contact a catastrophic injury attorney in Radcliff: This will enable you to focus entirely on your recovery while someone else handles the case for you.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Common Causes of Catastrophic Injuries
Catastrophic injuries are caused by external force trauma to the brain, spine, skull, and neck. Therefore, they can result from various accidents, including:
Slips and Falls
Falling off a ladder, roof, or walkway during construction could lead to severe injury. When your head hits a hard surface, your skull might get fractured, leading to traumatic brain injury. One could also slip on a wet floor and injure themselves catastrophically.
If you slip and fall while on the job or in the bathroom of a hotel, your employer or the establishment’s owner may be liable.
Motor Vehicle Accidents
According to a recent report from the U.S. Department of Transportation, almost 43,000 people died in the U.S. in 2021 alone due to road accidents, and 4.8 million others sustained injuries, including permanent disabilities. During a crash, the victim’s head and neck may knock against a hard surface, causing brain hemorrhages and other catastrophic injuries.
If a distracted or speeding driver causes an accident that leaves you injured, your lawyer could hold them liable.
A negligent doctor is a risk to their patient’s life. Operating on the wrong part of the body, misdiagnosing a patient, performing surgery while sleep-deprived, or prescribing the wrong medication are a few examples of medical malpractice that can result in catastrophic injuries. Such a doctor’s license might be revoked, especially in gross misconduct and negligence cases.
Pedestrian and Cyclist Accidents
Pedestrians, bicyclists, and cyclists face a significant risk of death and catastrophic injuries when out on the road. Colliding with a vehicle while on your bike could leave you severely injured, even when wearing protective gear. If a driver hits you because they were texting while driving or going over the speed limit, they could be held liable for the injuries.
Contact Us Today for a Free Case Review
You could receive compensation if you sustained a catastrophic injury due to someone else’s negligence. Hiring a lawyer takes the complex legal processes off your hands, allowing you to focus on recovery. At Isaacs & Isaacs Personal Injury Lawyers, we’re dedicated to helping the victims of catastrophic injuries get the financial redress they deserve.
Darryl “The Hammer” Isaacs and our team have won more than $1 billion in settlements for our clients, and we’re ready to take on even the biggest insurance companies on your behalf. Contact our Radcliff catastrophic injury lawyer for a free case review today.