Bicycle accidents can cause serious injuries. Enlisting the services of a bicycle accident lawyer is important if you decide to seek compensation for damages and injuries. A lawyer can file a claim your behalf as you rest and recover. A lawyer can also investigate your case, collect evidence, prove liability, and negotiate with the insurance company for the best settlement.
The services of a lawyer during the claim process levels are crucial since they can protect your legal interests during the negotiations and help deliver a positive outcome.
Why Contact a Nicholasville Bicycle Accident Lawyer?
Although cycling is a fun recreational activity, a bicycle accident can be severe. Cycling is high risk because cyclists usually don’t have much protective covering apart from helmets. If a bicycle accident happens, you can strike the ground and suffer from paralysis, traumatic head and brain injuries, internal organ damages, and spinal cord injuries.
If the bicycle accident occurs in Nicholasville, Kentucky, consider contacting a Nicholasville bicycle accident lawyer. A lawyer can advise if you’re eligible for compensation and help you build a credible injury case.
For a free legal consultation with a bicycle accidents lawyer serving Nicholasville, call 800-333-9999
Steps to Take After a Bicycle Accident
If you experience injuries and damages from a bicycle accident, you should consider the possibility of filing an injury lawsuit against the party at fault. The steps you take following the accident should help in strengthening your case and your recovery process.
Here are the steps you should take after a bicycle accident:
- Call 911: After the bicycle accident, you might hesitate to inform the police if you think the accident is not severe enough to call for police intervention. As a precautionary measure, it’s always advisable to notify the police and allow them to decide the accident’s severity. Calling 911 enables you access to the police report to help with your claim.
- Seek Medical Treatment: The 911 dispatcher will send an ambulance to the accident scene to administer first aid. Ensure you get examined right away. If you have significant injuries, they will send you to the emergency room. Medical reports show the nature of your injuries and costs incurred for treatment, and they can serve as evidence in your claim case.
- Collect Evidence: If you weren’t seriously injured, you could gather evidence at the accident scene. You can take pictures of your injuries and the accident site. You can refer to the police report if you’re seriously injured, since the police will collect evidence and interview the eyewitnesses after someone calls 911.
- Call Your Insurance Provider: Cyclists don’t carry auto insurance. As such, a cyclist could inform their insurance provider to request to use their homeowners’ insurance to pay for initial medical expenses as the claim is being processed.
Nicholasville Bicycle Accident Lawyer Near Me 800-333-9999
Common Causes for Bicycle Accidents
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, most bicycle accidents occur in urban areas at road intersections. Here are a few common reasons why bicycle accidents occur:
- Intoxication: Motorists driving under the influence of alcohol can cause accidents due to errors or miscalculations because their sense of judgment is impaired. In many bicycle accident cases involving vehicles, the car driver is usually intoxicated. However, on other occasions, the cyclist could be the drunken party.
- Poor Weather Conditions: Bicycles typically come without lights. Therefore, a responsible cyclist should wear reflective lights or clothing to make the bicycle visible. For instance, other motorists can lose sight of bicycles during poor weather conditions like heavy rain, snow, or fog.
- Distracted Driving: Some drivers become distracted if they’re busy eating or on their phones instead of concentrating on the road. Since bicycles are small, it’s easy for a distracted driver to miss them and cause an accident.
- Bad roads and Sidewalks: Bicycles typically have their own lanes depending on local regulations. As such, bicycle accidents can occur due to sidewalk or road defects, like uneven paths or potholes.
According to the World Health Organization, cyclists have a greater risk of sustaining an injury or dying due to road accidents than vehicle occupants. There are several types of monetary compensation you may be entitled to after a bicycle accident, such as:
- Medical Expenses: After a bicycle accident, the party at fault may compensate you for medical costs incurred due to the accident. These medical expenses include everything from ambulance transportation to the hospital to the medication you need to take after being discharged from the hospital. Future medical cost related to the accident and long–term physical treatment is also included in the medical expenses.
- Lost Wages or Income: Due to injuries sustained from the bicycle accident, you may be unable to work. Therefore, you might be entitled to compensation for any income or wages lost because of your injuries. Sometimes the bicycle accident can lead to permanent disability. In such situations, disability payments continue indefinitely.
- Bicycle Repairs: The at-fault’s insurance provider will pay for any bicycle repairs after the accident. If the bicycle is destroyed, the insurer will pay for its replacement.
- Wrongful Death Expenses: If the bicycle accident was fatal and you lost a loved one, the liable insurance company will compensate you for any funeral and bereavement expenses incurred. Consider consulting a lawyer to learn who can file for a wrongful death lawsuit.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
How Statute of Limitations Could Affect your Case
A bicycle accident claim should be pursued within two years of the date of the accident or your family member’s death if you want to be compensated for damages, injuries, and wrongful death through the legal system.
Failure to file your bicycle accident injury claim within the two-year deadline could lead to loss of eligibility for compensation. It helps to contact a bicycle accident lawyer immediately for legal advice and representation after the accident.
Let Our Bicycle Accident Lawyers Handle Your Claim
If a bicycle accident happened in the Nicholasville area and you sustained injuries and damages, consult Isaacs & Isaacs Personal Injury Lawyers for responsive legal assistance.
With a collective legal experience of over 400 years, our lawyers can investigate your case and ensure you receive the settlement you deserve. Call us for a free case review and let us handle your claim.