Few things traumatize a family more than losing a loved one. This shock can be compounded further if you suspect another party is responsible for their passing.
You may qualify for compensation if you or your family recently experienced a wrongful death. Our New Haven wrongful death lawyers can support you during this difficult time.
Do Wrongful Death Cases Have Large Settlements?
Wrongful death cases often have large settlements. For example, on May 3, 2022, the Lexington Herald-Leader reported that the city of Jackson, Miss., was found liable in a 911-call wrongful death case, with the family of the woman who passed away slated to receive a $500,000 settlement.
However, no two wrongful death cases will play out the same way. Any of these case types can trigger a wrongful death claim or lawsuit:
When assessing the value of any wrongful death claim, your attorney will typically look at these potential damages:
- Funeral expenses
- Medical expenses incurred prior to your loved one’s passing
- The lost earning capacity of your loved one
- Pain and suffering that your family and loved one experienced
- Punitive damages
Who Can Recover This Compensation?
Typically, close family members can collect compensation in a wrongful death claim. These family members include:
Often, these parties split any settlement or court award evenly.
Also, keep in mind that other factors, like the degree of negligence, can play a role in wrongful death cases. If you’re unsure about the value of your wrongful death case, Isaacs & Isaacs Personal Injury Lawyers can help. Our wrongful death lawyers have many years of experience determining fair and accurate case values.
For a free legal consultation with a wrongful death lawyer serving New Haven, call 800-333-9999
The Liable Parties in a Wrongful Death Case
As previously mentioned, wrongful death claims come in many forms, meaning there’s a wide range of possible liable parties.
With the help of a wrongful death lawyer serving New Haven, you can identify who’s liable in your case. These liable parties could include:
- A large corporation
- A municipality or state agency
- A product manufacturer
- A trucking company
- A negligent individual
New Haven Wrongful Death Lawyer Near Me 800-333-9999
Do I Need the Help of a Wrongful Death Lawyer?
You have no obligation to hire a wrongful death lawyer. That said, you shouldn’t ignore the benefits of hiring a wrongful death lawyer who serves New Haven.
An attorney can pursue one of two avenues to secure you fair and adequate compensation.
Many wrongful death cases settle outside of the courtroom. This outcome is usually preferable for both parties because trials are expensive and time-consuming.
Your out-of-court settlement often involves insurance negotiations. However, insurers frequently lowball initial wrongful death settlement offers. Your lawyer can accurately assess the value of your case and ensure you don’t settle for anything less than what you and your family deserve.
In addition, an attorney can identify shady insurance practices. If the liable party’s insurer refuses to make a fair offer, your attorney can take the case to civil court.
Not every wrongful death case will necessitate a lawsuit. However, if your case must go to court, a lawyer can offer these services:
- Use the subpoena process to secure witnesses
- Question witnesses during deposition and at trial
- Aggressively collect any evidence related to the case
- Examine the defendant’s history
- Review police and medical reports
- Conduct a scene investigation
Why Choose a Wrongful Death Attorney From Our Firm?
Our legal team has 400 years of combined legal experience. Thanks to this experience, we understand how Kentucky’s vast structure of laws and regulations can affect wrongful death cases.
Our attorneys have won several high-profile wrongful death cases for our clients:
- $10 million for the family of a man killed in a semi-truck accident
- $1.5 million as settlement for a teenager killed in a motorcycle accident
We approach legal proceedings with compassion and care. We want our clients to know that they’re being taken care of. Read a few of their testimonials:
- “Nick Alexiou was the attorney on my case, he kept me well informed about my case. He, along with other staff members have earned a 5-star rating from me. I appreciate all their help and would definitely recommend my family and friends. Thank you all at Isaacs & Isaacs for your expertise, experience and professionalism.”– Lakesha R.
- “I have really enjoyed working with David Scott. He is a very skilled and confident attorney. I would highly recommend him to anyone. All I can say is watch out defense attorney if you see this name because he is bringing it to you.”– Billy S.
We guarantee that we’ll fight aggressively for fair compensation throughout your wrongful death case. You don’t need to face an insurer or large corporation on your own.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Are Wrongful Death Attorneys Expensive?
We recognize that you could already be facing considerable financial challenges. For example, you may be saddled with funeral expenses or medical expenses after the passing of your loved one.
We strive to make our assistance affordable to those who need it. To do so, we employ two pricing practices that protect our clients:
- We work on contingency: Hiring an attorney from our firm comes with no upfront fees or costs. We won’t get paid unless we succeed in winning your case.
- Our case evaluations are free: We offer free case evaluations to prospective clients. During this initial meeting, we can put all your burning questions to rest.
Wrongful Death Cases are Time-Sensitive
Most legal cases have a statute of limitations. In simple terms, a statute of limitations is a case deadline. You cannot file a lawsuit once the deadline passes. Per Ky. Rev. Stat. § 413.180, wrongful death cases in Nelson County have a one-year statute of limitations.
This deadline may seem lengthy. However, case specifics and other roadblocks can rob you of precious time. So, don’t let a deadline rob you of the compensation you deserve. You shouldn’t wait to get started on your case.
Our lawyers specialize in keeping cases on track. Thus, we can help you meet your statutory deadline.
Hire a Wrongful Death Lawyer Today
Our team can shoulder the burden of your wrongful death claim. With Issacs & Isaacs Personal Injury Lawyers by your side, you can focus on your family rather than the details of your legal case.
We can support both English- and Spanish-speaking clients in New Haven. Use our online case evaluation form or call our firm 24/7 to get started today.