Bicycling around the New Castle area is an efficient way to get from place to place. It offers both health and financial benefits by getting in exercise and saving on fuel costs. The state of Indiana has put safety precautions such as bike lanes and traffic laws into place to help protect bicyclists. Although there are safety measures in place, accidents still happen.
New Castle bicycle accident lawyers at Isaacs & Isaacs Personal Injury Lawyers have been helping those who have been injured in accidents since 1993. If you have been injured because of the actions of someone else while riding a bicycle, our attorneys can help. We will work tirelessly to provide the support you need while fighting for your right to recover compensation.
Could I Receive Compensation If I Am Injured in a Bicycle Accident?
If you are injured in a bicycle accident because of the negligence of someone else, you could recover compensation. Damages refer to a sum of money the court requires someone to pay for injuring another party. In a bicycle accident case, you could recover economic and non-economic damages.
Economic damages are justified verifiable monetary losses. Examples of economic damages you could recover include:
- Medical bills: If you had any out-of-pocket costs for medical expenses to treat your injuries or for pain management, they could be included in your claim. This could include medications, doctor visits, emergency room care, hospitalizations, surgeries, and diagnostic testing.
- Future medical bills: If your injuries will require ongoing care in the future, future medical costs could be included in your claim.
- Rehabilitative care: If your injuries require any type of rehabilitative care, you could include these costs in your claim. Rehabilitative care might be physical therapy, occupational therapy, or speech therapy.
- Lost income: You may be out of work for a short while or a long time while you recover from your accident. If so, you could recover the income you lost during that time.
- Diminished earning capacity: If you are not able to return to work at all or in the same capacity, you can include future lost earnings in your claim. Retirement and medical benefits can also be included.
Non-economic damages are non-monetary losses you incurred because of your injuries. These could include:
- Emotional distress: Any negative psychological impacts you endure after the accident. Examples include anxiety, fear, depression, or post-traumatic stress disorder.
- Pain and suffering: Any negative physical pain, anguish, discomfort, or inconvenience your injuries caused.
- Loss of enjoyment: If you are unable to enjoy activities, hobbies, or sports you used to enjoy because of your injuries, you can include loss of enjoyment damages to your claim.
Non-economic damages do not have an exact amount associated with them. Our attorneys will calculate the value of your non-economic damages to determine how much compensation we will seek.
The Attorneys at Isaacs & Isaacs Personal Injury Lawyers Can Help You Recover Compensation
Our attorneys have handled many bike accident cases and know the tactics insurance companies use to negotiate. Once we are hired to represent you, we can:
- Review the crash report
- Gather evidence relevant to the case
- Obtain witness statements
- Identify who was at fault for the accident
- Handle communications regarding the accident on your behalf
- Negotiate a fair settlement
- Prepare a solid case strategy for a trial in case a settlement cannot be reached
We have successfully recovered over $1 billion in past cases and have over 400 years of combined legal experience. If your case goes to trial, we have an in-house litigation team that will fight for your right to recover compensation. We have Spanish-speaking paralegals and attorneys on our team to assist our Spanish-speaking clients and have attorneys who are licensed in Kentucky, Indiana, Ohio, Nevada, Texas, and Illinois.
For a free legal consultation with a bicycle accidents lawyer serving New Castle, call 800-333-9999
Bicycle Accident Facts
Indiana Bicycle Laws state that bicycles have the same rights and responsibilities on the road as motor vehicles.
Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration conducted a survey to determine common causes of bicycle accidents. In accidents involving other motorists, their findings include:
- Motorists failing to check blind spots
- Motorists opening a car door without checking if a bicyclist is coming
- Motorists driving while distracted, intoxicated, or fatigued
- Motorists improperly turning or not using their turn signal
- Motorists speeding, engaging in road rage, or driving aggressively
IC § 34-11-2-4 states you have two years from the date of the accident to file a personal injury lawsuit, so you do not want to wait to file a claim if you are in a bicycle accident.
Types of Bicycle Accidents
With bicyclists and motorists sharing the road, unfortunately, accidents happen. Several predictable traffic scenarios occur with bicycles and motor vehicles. They include:
- Left-turn accidents: This type of accident occurs when a bicycle and a motorist are at opposite sides of an intersection. The motorist might not see the bicyclist and when they are turning left at the intersection, they hit the bicyclist. When this type of accident occurs, the driver is usually liable.
- A motorist turning right: When motor vehicles make right turns, there are a few ways accidents can occur. One example is when a car and a bicycle are waiting at a stoplight. The bicyclist may keep going straight and if the car doesn’t see the cyclist, they turn right and hit them. In this case, the driver of the motor vehicle is usually liable.
Many accidents occur because the driver of the motor vehicle doesn’t see the bicyclist. Both motor vehicle drivers and bicyclists must stay vigilant and aware of their surroundings to avoid an accident.
New Castle Bicycle Accident Lawyer Near Me 800-333-9999
Call Us Today to Learn About Your Legal Rights During a Free Consultation
If you have been in a bicycle accident, a New Castle bicycle accident lawyer can be very helpful when trying to recover the maximum amount of compensation for your losses. Our attorneys can review what happened during your accident to determine if negligence took place. If the other party was negligent, we can advocate aggressively for them to compensate you for your losses.
Contact us today for a free consultation. Our attorneys work on a contingency fee. This means we do not charge any upfront costs or fees. You do not have to pay for our legal services unless we help you recover compensation.