Motor vehicle collisions involving trucks can be catastrophic. The injuries the victim sustains can haunt them for the rest of their lives. If your life has been turned upside down by your truck accident and injuries, and another party’s negligence is determined to cause your collision, you may be entitled to financial compensation.
Find out what your truck accident claim is worth when you reach out to a New Albany truck accident lawyer at Isaacs & Isaacs Personal Injury Lawyers to discuss the legal details of your case.
Steps to Take After a Truck Accident in New Albany
After you have been injured in a New Albany truck accident, you may be feeling scared and unsure of what your next steps should be. Here is what to do after a truck accident:
- Step 1 – Call 911 and law enforcement. Police will arrive at the scene and file an accident report that contains important information that could be valuable in supporting your civil and insurance claims. Whether you feel fine or have suffered critical injuries, emergency responders must arrive at the scene for a medical evaluation.
- Step 2 – While you are waiting for police to arrive at the accident scene, do everything you can to document the scene and gather evidence to support your case. This might include taking photos of the truck accident, your injuries, the area surrounding the accident, and any other valuable images. You might also obtain the contact information of any witnesses and the truck driver.
- Step 3 – Obtain a medical evaluation. If you cannot obtain evidence due to the severity of your injuries, do not worry. You need to be medically evaluated as soon as possible, regardless of your ability to gather evidence. Failure to be medically assessed could result in worsening invisible injuries and could even be used against you when you attempt to hold the liable party accountable.
- Step 4 – Contact a New Albany truck accident attorney for help. While you are recuperating from your injuries, your attorney can focus on gathering the evidence needed to support your case and establishing liability so you can recover the compensation you need to get through these difficult times.
For a free legal consultation with a truck accidents lawyer serving New Albany, call 800-333-9999
Common Causes of New Albany Truck Accidents
To recover your damages in full after a truck accident in New Albany, your lawyer will need to show that another party’s negligence was the cause of your injuries. Truck accidents can occur in many ways. However, according to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA), some of the more common causes of commercial trucking accidents include:
- Unsecured construction zones
- Broken roadways
- Failure to yield
- Cell phone use and other types of distracted driving
- Hit and run
- Inclement weather
- Drunk or drugged driving
- Driving while fatigued
These are only a few of the more common causes of truck accidents in New Albany. Depending on the type of accident you were involved in, your lawyer will be able to determine who is responsible for your injuries.
For example, if you were struck by a truck driver who was operating their big rig while fatigued, not only could you pursue claims against the negligent driver, but the trucking company that employs them may also be held accountable as well. Some of the parties found liable more often than others in commercial truck accidents include:
- Government agencies
- Negligent drivers
- Trucking companies
- The owner of the truck
- Auto parts manufacturers
- Vehicle technicians
- Dram shops
- Safety inspectors
- Cargo loaders
Your truck accident lawyer’s in-depth investigation into the cause of the accident will reveal which party or parties should be held accountable for your injuries and damages.
New Albany Truck Accident Lawyer Near Me 800-333-9999
What Damages Can Truck Accident Victims in New Albany Recover?
You have the right to be compensated for every loss you suffered due to your truck accident injuries. To ensure that every loss is accounted for, your lawyer will start by separating your damages into two separate categories: financially based and non-financially based.
Also commonly referred to as economic and non-economic damages, under IN Code § 27-7-5.1-3, New Albany truck accident victims have the right to recover one or more of the following in their insurance and civil claims:
- Physical pain
- Emotional distress
- Lost wages
- Loss of future potential earnings
- Cost of child care and transportation
- All medical expenses related to your truck accident and injuries
- Other unexpected out-of-pocket expenses
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Disfigurement or scarring
- Loss of consortium
To find out which damages you could recover in your truck accident claim, reach out to your truck accident attorney in New Albany to discuss your losses.
How to Know If You Have Grounds for a New Albany Truck Accident Claim
Many people who have been injured in truck accidents refrain from contacting a lawyer because they aren’t sure whether they have grounds for a claim. If you are lying in your New Albany hospital bed, wondering what your legal options are, ask yourself these questions:
- Is someone else responsible for causing the truck accident or injuries?
- Has my life been significantly impacted by the truck accident or my injuries?
If the answer to both of these questions is or could be yes, then you may have the right to be compensated for your suffering.
Speaking with an attorney about the details of your case is free. You can learn more about how to file claims with the necessary insurance companies and pursue civil action against the liable party when you contact a New Albany truck accident attorney for help.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Common Types of Truck Accident Injuries in New Albany
Although the type of injury you sustained will not determine whether you have the right to financial compensation, there are some types of truck accident injuries seen more often in New Albany civil courts than others. These include:
- Broken and fractured bones
- Internal bleeding
- Spinal cord injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Loss of limbs
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
Meet With a New Albany Truck Accident Attorney
The truck accident claims process may be complex. Still, when you have a New Albany truck accident lawyer at Isaacs & Isaacs Personal Injury Lawyers advocating for your right to total compensation, you can feel confident in your decision to seek justice.
Schedule your free, no-obligation consultation when you give our office a call at 1-800-800-8888.