Truck accidents in the USA have risen by over 48% since 2009, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. Injuries and fatalities from those involving large trucks or eighteen-wheelers have also increased. If you or a loved one were in a truck accident in Ohio, consider contacting a Mentor truck accident lawyer.
What Does a Truck Accident Lawyer Do?
A truck accident attorney is a personal injury lawyer who focuses on car and truck accident cases. You want someone with experience by your side. Things a truck lawyer may be able to do:
- Identify the liable party
- Collect evidence
- Negotiate a settlement with the insurance company
- Take the case to trial on your behalf
With a truck accident attorney, you can focus on your health, family, and rest while the attorney tries to earn you adequate compensation for all your injuries.
For a free legal consultation with a truck accidents lawyer serving Mentor, call 800-333-9999
Determining Liability in a Mentor Truck Accident Case
The first thing a truck accident lawyer will usually do is determine the liable party or parties. This will help them pinpoint who to file the claim against. In Ohio, the liability falls on the party who was most at fault for the accident. In truck accident cases, there can be several parties to blame.
While it’s easy to presume that the truck driver is at fault, other parties could have severely impacted the accident. These parties might include:
- The trucking company
- The local or national government
- The truck manufacturer
- The truck repair company or garage
- The company that manufactured the truck parts
How Shared Fault Might Affect Your Case
In most states in the USA, including Ohio, courts usually assign fault in percentages. This means that multiple parties may bear partial fault for the accident, and if the truck driver is eligible for some compensation, this could reduce the amount of money you get in your settlement.
If anyone bears 51% or more of the responsibility, they can be held liable. An individual or company could be liable based on many factors, including:
- Driving while drowsy or drunk
- Issuing extreme deadlines for the arrival of cargo
- Unmarked roads and manholes
- Malfunctioning traffic lights
- Malfunctioning truck parts
- Sloppy or haphazard repairs
- Inhumane working conditions and more
- Faulty parts or repairs
A truck accident lawyer’s job is to interview witnesses, read the police report, view any video footage if possible, investigate the crime scene, look at case notes from the police officers, and check photos taken at the scene to determine who’s at fault. Once the liable party is determined, you can move forward with your case.
Mentor Truck Accident Lawyer Near Me 800-333-9999
Evidence That Attorneys Can Use In a Mentor Truck Accident Case
There is usually more evidence to look at within truck accident cases compared to regular car accidents. These cases present unique elements and more complicated negotiations. The evidence can work in your favor if you bear little or no blame for the accident. Your truck accident lawyer will look through the records to determine the best course of action. This evidence includes:
- GPS tracking devices: The trucking business is a multi-billion dollar business. Rarely is the driver of the truck the owner of the business. This is why trucking companies install GPS tracking devices in their trucks that the drivers cannot switch off. The data collected by the GPS device helps the company monitor the goods while in transit, and it can be valuable to the success of your truck accident case.
- Dispatch records: Together with GPS tracking, these records provide information on the driver’s route. They also note the nature of the job and how long the driver was in the vehicle.
- Cargo-loading records: The cargo company records how much cargo was in the truck and how it was loaded. This is to prove that the truck did not carry above its weight limit and that the cargo was loaded properly to balance the truck. If there is a disparity between the records and what was in the vehicle, it can support the case for the cargo company’s negligence.
- Driving logs: The law permits truck drivers a certain amount of hours on the road without a break. Truck drivers must log their weekly driving hours accurately. Driving logs determine if the driver was working under unsafe conditions. If the trucking company was forcing its drivers to work excessive hours or drive long distances in a short amount of time, then the driving logs will verify that.
- In-truck cameras: Some trucks have video recorders to ensure safety. The video footage recorded may prove the driver engaged in negligent or reckless driving. It could also prove many other things that may help you in your truck accident case.
- Inspection reports: These records will show anything wrong with the truck on a mechanical level. They also show if the driver did proper maintenance. Failure to do these things can contribute to a truck accident and impact your case.
- Black box information: Truck black boxes provide a lot of information like the truck’s speed, how the driver steered, when the driver applied brakes, and more. This information helps determine liability.
Compensation in Mentor Truck Accident Cases
You might be eligible for compensation related to damages you or your loved one suffered in a truck accident. Your truck accident lawyer will file for damages, and through negotiations or a lawsuit, you could be compensated financially by the liable party.
Compensation usually covers medical bills, emotional distress, lost income, and any future loss of income from injuries, but may also extend to other economic and non-economic damages.
Contact Isaacs & Isaacs Personal Injury Lawyers Today
If you or your loved one has suffered injuries in a truck accident, Isaacs & Isaacs Personal Injury Lawyers may be able to help you. We have decades of experience in accident cases and our attorneys have won over a billion dollars in settlements for our clients. We have built our firm on the principle of protecting the individual rights of victims in accident cases. Contact us today to book your free consultation with our attorneys serving Mentor, Ohio.