If a close relative of yours died because of the careless or wrongful act of someone else, our Lafayette wrongful death lawyer can help your family hold the at-fault party accountable.
You can count on Isaacs & Isaacs Personal Injury Lawyers to go after the responsible person, company, or government agency while treating you with respect and compassion.
Who Can Sue for Wrongful Death in Lafayette
The personal representative of the deceased person’s estate can file a lawsuit for damages against the party whose wrongful action took the life of the decedent. This is as long as the deceased person would have been able to maintain a personal injury case against that party if the decedent had lived.
The decedent’s estate will get reimbursed for the out-of-pocket costs like the medical bills and the reasonable cost of the funeral and burial.
The rest of the money damages recovered from the defendant will get paid to the surviving spouse, dependent children, or dependent next of kin as set forth in IC 34-23-1-1.
For a free legal consultation with a wrongful death lawyer serving Lafayette, call 800-333-9999
Damages Available for Wrongful Death Claims
In addition to the medical expenses and reasonable cost of the funeral and burial, the money damages available depend on the type of surviving relatives. For example, if the deceased person was an unmarried adult with no dependents, the additional award can include compensation for the loss of the deceased person’s love and companionship.
In the case of a decedent who leaves behind survivors like a spouse or dependents, the money damages could include the pain and suffering of the survivors and the loss of income and inheritance. The court will evaluate life expectancy and related issues when calculating the amount of lost income.
Lafayette Wrongful Death Lawyer Near Me 800-333-9999
How Long You Have to File a Wrongful Death Lawsuit in Lafayette
In most situations, you only have two years to file a lawsuit seeking compensation for a wrongful death. Time can pass quickly while dealing with a death in the family, so the deadline could approach quicker than you might think.
Wrongful death lawsuits require time to investigate and draft the paperwork for the court, so be sure to give us sufficient time to do those things.
Sometimes, people mistakenly think that the filing deadline does not apply if they prefer to settle out of court with the defendant, but missing the deadline would likely bar you from seeking compensation. You usually cannot sue after the filing deadline, and if you cannot sue, the defendant is under no legal obligation to you. Negotiating does not extend the deadline.
How Much Our Lafayette Wrongful Death Lawyer Costs
We offer a free initial consultation with no obligation. If we take your Tippecanoe County wrongful death case, you do not have to pay us any upfront legal fees or costs. We only get our costs reimbursed and our legal fees paid if you win, and then the payment comes out of the settlement proceeds or jury verdict.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Five Star Google Reviews for Our Lawyers
We are proud of our five-star Google reviews. Here are a few examples:
- “I was in a bad accident a couple of years ago where I was t-boned out of nowhere. John Jones was my attorney and he explained everything to me all along the way. He was responsive to all my calls and really helped keep me calm during the process so that I could focus on getting better. I would not hesitate to call them again.” K. Engle
- “It is hard to put into words how I feel about Jon Heck, David Scott, Julianne Tackett, and Melissa Waller- my own personal litigation team! They go above and beyond to take care of me! From the beginning very professional, kept me informed, knowledgeable and treated me like I mattered!! I can not thank them enough for what they have done for my family! If you want a team that will treat you like family and that you matter call Isaac And Isaac today!!” J. Short
- “Nick Alexiou was the attorney on my case, he kept me well informed about my case. He, along with other staff members have earned a 5 star rating from me. I appreciate all there help and would definitely recommend my family and friends. Thank you all at Isaacs & Isaacs for your expertise, experience and professionalism.” L.K. Rochae
- “Isaacs and Isaacs was so helpful and understanding of my situation every step of the way. Specifically, Mark and Todd fought for me and everything I needed & treated me like family. Couldn’t have gotten through this tough time without them!” B. Ina
When you team up with us, you’ll be able to relate to these previous clients of ours.
What Not to Do After Your Loved One Suffers a Wrongful Death
Some things can impact the financial value of your wrongful death claim, and often these things happen well after the incident that took your loved one away too soon. The amount of monetary recovery you could pursue can get reduced by these events. For example:
- You do not want to give a recorded statement to the insurance company. The claims adjuster will likely ask you to give one of these statements, but a recorded statement provides the insurer with opportunities to deny coverage or even blame your deceased relative for the accident. Instead, you can have the insurer talk to your lawyer.
- Social media can hurt your wrongful death claim. We understand that you might need to vent and express your grief and perhaps anger at the person whose actions robbed you of your loved one, but photographs and comments posted on social media get used in court every day. It is best to take a recess from the use of social media while your claim is pending.
Feel free to ask your attorney for guidance if you are uncertain about an activity.
Getting Help from Our Lafayette Wrongful Death Attorney
We are honored to help our clients through some of their most difficult situations. Whether your loved one died because of someone’s negligence in a car accident, medical malpractice, a defective product, or another circumstance, we can go after the compensation you and your family need to rebuild your lives.
You can contact Isaacs & Isaacs Personal Injury Lawyers today to get started.