But bicycle accidents can happen anywhere, and they can cause serious injury or even death. They can leave you and your family feeling vulnerable, lost, and financially unprepared.
The team at Isaacs & Isaacs Personal Injury Lawyers has Lafayette bicycle accident lawyers to help you seek compensation for your injuries.
Your Lafayette Bicycle Accident Attorney Can Help You Seek Justice
The team at Isaacs & Isaacs Personal Injury Lawyers has 400+ years of combined experience fighting for accident victims. We’ve helped recover more than $2 billion in settlements for individuals and families impacted by bicycle accidents and other devastating accidents.
Our personal injury firm can help you by:
- Gathering evidence of your injuries and the accident
- Identifying negligent parties and potential sources for compensation
- Calculating your damages
- Interviewing witnesses
- Negotiating and handling communications with insurance companies
- Representing you in court, if necessary
We know how insurance companies try to provide victims with meager settlements. So, we will work hard to exhaust every possible avenue for compensation. We aim to hold at-fault parties accountable and get the best possible settlement for you and your family.
For a free legal consultation with a bicycle accidents lawyer serving Lafayette, call 800-333-9999
You Can Recover Compensation for Your Injuries With a Bicycle Accident Lawyer
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), bike accidents in the U.S. cost approximately $23 billion per year. This figure includes the costs of medical treatment, lost income, and reduced quality of life.
It’s hard to tell you how much you can get, on average, in compensation for a bicycle accident. That’s because no two bicycle accidents are the same. We can review the facts of your case and consider many different factors to calculate the true cost of your damages. Some factors we use include:
- The type and severity of your injuries
- The cause of your accident
- Your age at the time of the accident
- Projected future medical treatments and costs
Types of Damages You Can Get Compensation For
A bicycle accident can cause minor and serious injuries, depending on how the accident occurred, the types of safety equipment you were wearing, and more. Here are some injuries you can recover compensation for:
- Scrapes, lacerations, and road rash
- Broken bones
- Concussions and whiplash
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
You can recover non-economic damages, too, such as:
- Current medical bills
- Future medical costs
- Lost income during recovery
- Lost earning capacity due to disability
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Bike and equipment repair and/or replacement
- Wrongful death benefits
We can use medical bills, health insurance claims, diagnoses, prognoses, and more to identify all recoverable damages and determine how much your specific case is worth.
Lafayette Bicycle Accident Lawyer Near Me 800-333-9999
Who Is Responsible for My Lafayette Bicycle Accident?
The parties that pay for your accident depend on how the accident occurred and who was at fault. When we identify at-fault parties, your lawyer can file legal complaints with their representatives and claims with their insurance companies. Some parties we might find at fault for your Lafayette bicycle accident include:
- A driver or motorist
- A company or organization whose employee or representative was involved in your accident
- A government agency
- A parts manufacturer or mechanic
Depending on who causes the accident, we could seek compensation through any of the following potential sources:
- A driver or motorist’s auto insurance policy
- Your uninsured/underinsured motorist insurance policy
- Settlements for product liability
- A liability insurance policy from a company, organization, or government agency
How We Determine Liability in Lafayette Bicycle Accidents
Our bicycle accident lawyers can review the facts of your case and apply Indiana’s bicycle laws to the circumstances of your accident to determine who is at fault. We must prove that:
- Someone owed you a duty of care.
- They breached their duty of care.
- That breach caused your accident.
- Your accident resulted in your injuries and property damage.
For example, a driver owes you the same duty of care to share the road and drive safely per local laws. They breach that duty of care by, say, running a stop sign or running you off the road. That incident causes you to be harmed in an accident.
Comparative Negligence Could Affect Your Bicycle Accident Case
However, sometimes bike riders make mistakes on the road, too. Under Indiana’s modified comparative negligence statute IC §34-51-2-5, you can still recover compensation for your damages as long as you are not found to be more than 50% at fault for your accident. If you’re found, say, 25% at fault, you would only receive 75% of your settlement amount.
We can help you understand whether this statute applies to your case and how it may affect your recoverable settlement amount.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Causes of Bicycle Accidents in Lafayette, in Our Lawyers Often See
Many different situations can cause a bicycle accident, including:
- Distracted driving
- Aggressive driving
- Failure to check blind spots before turning or switching lanes
- Failure to provide adequate passing distance when overtaking a bike
- Opening a car door into an incoming bicyclist
- Driving in a bike lane or not sharing the road with bikers
- Road hazards, like potholes, cracks, and debris
- Poorly maintained trails
- Bike or vehicle part malfunction
We will review evidence like the police report, photographs and video of the scene, witness testimony, and more to understand the cause of your accident.
How Long You Have to File a Bicycle Accident Lawsuit in Indiana
The statute of limitations in Indiana for personal injury lawsuits is two years from the date of the accident, per IC § 34-11-2-4. So, you have two years from your accident to file a lawsuit to recover compensation.
Many insurance companies prefer to settle out of court, so filing a claim through the at-fault party’s policy or legal complaint to the company is typically the first step. You should take this step right away to get started on recovering compensation as soon as possible. That way, we have more time to build a complete case and file a lawsuit if negotiations and out-of-court settlements should fail.
Call Our Team to Pursue Compensation for Your Bicycle Accident Losses
The legal team at Isaacs & Isaacs Personal Injury Lawyers will work to represent you and your family after a bicycle accident. We work on a contingency-fee basis, meaning we don’t get paid unless we win for you.
Don’t let the cost of other lawyers prevent you from seeking justice and compensation for your Lafayette bicycle accident. Contact our office today for a free case evaluation.