Approximately 49,000 bicyclists were injured in accidents in 2019, 2,000 more than the year before. While Kokomo isn’t as large as nearby Indianapolis, this city still sees many bike accidents every year. Unfortunately, some drivers don’t want to share the road with these slower-moving vehicles, while others don’t actively look for cyclists.
Indiana has laws that require motorists to share the road with bicyclists, maintain a safe passing distance when overtaking bicycles on the road, and give right of way in certain traffic situations. Yet many motorists disregard these laws. As a result, many bicyclists are injured or killed in the process.
If you’ve been injured in a bicycle accident in Kokomo, the dedicated legal team at Isaacs & Isaacs Personal Injury Lawyers can advise you on your legal options.
A Kokomo Bicycle Accident Lawyer Can Help You Get Compensation
In some bike accident cases, you may be able to file an insurance claim and recover compensation on your own. However, insurance companies and legal teams don’t want to pay you as much as your accident is worth. They will likely offer you a small sum that will not cover current or future accident-related costs.
That’s why having a Kokomo bicycle accident lawyer on your side is so important. Our firm will work hard to maximize your claim and even go to bat for you by negotiating for a better settlement or filing a lawsuit.
For a free legal consultation with a bicycle accidents lawyer serving Kokomo, call 800-333-9999
Causes of Bicycle Accidents in Kokomo
Bicycle accidents can be the result of many different circumstances. There are unlimited factors that can influence the cause and severity of a bike accident. Some of the most common causes of bicycle accidents include:
- Drivers not checking blind spots when turning or changing lanes
- Vehicles not giving bikes room to ride on the right shoulder or in the lane
- Dooring, which is where a driver opens their door on an incoming or stopped bicyclist
- Distracted, fatigued, or intoxicated driving
- Aggressive driving, such as running bikes off the road
- Failure to keep at least 3 feet of passing distance
- Not keeping a safe following distance
While it is common for another vehicle on the road to cause a bike accident, your accident may have occurred because of:
- Road hazards, like potholes or debris
- Poor weather conditions, like snow, ice, or rain
- Bike part malfunction
Who Can Be Sued for My Bicycle Accident?
If your bicycle accident was caused by a driver failing to share the road safely, you can hold that driver accountable. However, for other common causes, another driver may not be held accountable for your accident. Instead, you may file a legal complaint with the local municipality responsible for maintaining road conditions for all vehicles or the bike manufacturing company that sold a faulty part.
Regardless of who is liable for the accident, you have two years from the date of the accident to file a lawsuit for both personal injury claims (IC § 34-11-2-4) and product liability claims (IC § 34-20-3-1).
Kokomo Bicycle Accident Lawyer Near Me 800-333-9999
Common Bicycle Accident Injuries
Bicycle accident injuries range from minor to severe. But due to the added protection that you would have in a car, bike riders can be more likely to suffer severe or fatal injuries when involved in vehicle collisions. Some of the most common bike accident injuries we see include:
- Cuts, lacerations, and road rash
- Concussions and traumatic brain injuries (TBIs)
- Whiplash and neck injuries
- Back injuries, including sprains and spinal cord injuries
- Broken bones and sprains
Some of these injuries can heal quickly and leave few lasting effects, but others can cause life-long complications. These injuries may prevent you from working, enjoying bike rides, and living your life like you used to.
Many bike accident injuries can cost thousands and thousands of dollars to treat. Depending on your insurance, you may have to pay for some treatment out of pocket. A bicycle accident lawyer from Isaacs & Isaacs Personal Injury Lawyers can help you understand your legal options to explore compensation that can cover these costs.
Seeking Compensation for Your Bike Accident
As your legal counsel, we can exhaust every option for seeking compensation to help you and your family handle the financial impacts of your bicycle accident. Some economic damages you can recover include:
- Medical bills, including emergency care, surgery, medications, rehabilitation, medical equipment, in-home care, and more
- Future medical costs for projected treatment, rehabilitation, surgery, and more
- Lost wages and benefits during recovery
- Lost earning potential if you’re unable to work now or in the future due to disability
- Bicycle and equipment damage costs if your bicycle, helmet, and other equipment are damaged or destroyed
- Lost spousal support and funeral costs if you have lost your loved one in a bike accident
We can also help you get compensation for those damages that don’t have a price tag. These non-economic damages may include:
- Pain and suffering
- Scarring and disfigurement
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Inability to do the same hobbies and activities, like biking
How Much Compensation Can I Get for My Bike Accident Injuries?
It is hard to give you an estimate of how much you may be able to recover from your bicycle accident. Once we review the facts of your case, we can calculate your damages. Your compensation amount can depend on the following factors:
- Your age at the time of the accident
- The diagnosis and prognosis of your injuries and recovery
- The impact of the accident and your injuries on your personal and professional life
- How the accident occurred
- How many parties are at fault for the accident
Your Options for Recovering Compensation
Depending on the cause of your accident and the parties at fault, you may have several options for seeking compensation after a bicycle accident. These options include:
- An at-fault driver’s liability insurance
- A property owner’s property liability or homeowners’ insurance policy
- Your own uninsured motorist (UM) or underinsured motorist (UIM) insurance policies
- A settlement from a manufacturing company or government agency
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Get Your Case Reviewed for Free by Isaacs & Isaacs Personal Injury Lawyers
If you’ve been injured in a bicycle accident, the team at Isaacs & Isaacs Personal Injury Lawyers is ready to take on your case. We operate on contingency fees, so you don’t pay any retainer fees or upfront costs or fees. We are also happy to review your case for free so you can start holding the negligent parties accountable. Contact our office to speak with a bicycle accident lawyer serving Kokomo today.