If your close family member was taken from you by another’s negligence, a Jeffersonville wrongful death lawyer from Isaacs & Isaacs Personal Injury Lawyers can help. They will seek compensation for your economic losses and emotional pain. You can count on our injury firm to help you hold the at-fault party accountable for taking the life of your loved one.
Wrongful death cases in Indiana arise out of a fatality from an accidental or intentional wrongful act. Common accidental causes include things like car crashes, workplace accidents, dangerous products, or premises liability incidents. An intentional wrongful act could be criminal conduct like an assault or a robbery. In that situation, the defendant could face criminal charges and a civil lawsuit seeking damages.
Who Can Sue for Wrongful Death in Indiana
IC 34-23-1-1 allows the personal representative of the decedent’s estate to make a legal claim against the at-fault party. The estate can recover its out-of-pocket losses, like the medical bills and funeral and burial costs.
The legal beneficiaries of a wrongful death claim in Indiana can include the deceased person’s estate and the decedent’s survivors. A surviving spouse, dependent children, and some other dependent relatives could pursue both financial and intangible losses from the death of their family member. These damages could include:
- Loss of income in support of the decedent
- Loss of love and companionship of the deceased person
- Loss of inheritance
- The grief and emotional suffering of the survivors
The amount that could be recovered for the lost income of the deceased person will depend on the decedent’s earnings history, age, health, and life expectancy.
For a free legal consultation with a wrongful death lawyer serving Jeffersonville, call 800-333-9999
Three Things to Do If You Have a Wrongful Death Claim
Every situation is different, and we would not presume to tell you what you and your family need to do after the death of a close relative. To the extent that there are some similarities from one wrongful death case to another, we respectfully offer a few suggestions:
- Take care of yourself. Very few wrongful death claims get resolved overnight. You will need strength to get through the process of dealing with your grief and rebuilding your life.
- Get a professional to fight your battles for you. You do not have to go through this experience alone. The at-fault party’s insurance carrier has teams of professionals like investigators, defense lawyers, and claims adjusters. You do not have to take them on by yourself. Our Jeffersonville wrongful death lawyer can take care of your case so that you do not have to.
- Watch the clock. If you feel that a government entity might be responsible for the death of your loved one, you’ll have to take action quickly. For other defendants, the filing deadline will be here before you know it.
As part of our legal services, we provide guidance for our clients. Feel free to ask us whatever questions you have about your case. We will take the time to listen to you and answer your questions.
Jeffersonville Wrongful Death Lawyer Near Me 800-333-9999
The Filing Deadline for a Wrongful Death Case in Jeffersonville, IN
Typically, a claim against a local or federal government agency has to go through an administrative claims process. Your claim must get filed within six months. If a private individual, company, or some other organization wrongfully caused the death of your close relative, the lawsuit must get filed within two years.
Missing either deadline can have devastating consequences. Indiana law could forever prevent you from going after the defendant for financial compensation. This harsh outcome is another reason why it could be in your best interest to work with one of our lawyers on your case. We worry about the procedural issues like deadlines so that you do not have to.
Working With Our Lawyer on Your Clark County Case
If you try to handle your wrongful death claim on your own, you will have to do all the work by yourself, in addition to dealing with your grief and emotional pain from the loss of your loved one. When you work with our wrongful death lawyer on your claim, we can take all these things off your plate:
- Investigating what caused the death of your loved one
- Evaluating the facts of your case and applying Indiana wrongful death law
- Collecting the evidence needed to prove liability
- Negotiating directly with the defendant’s insurance company to try to settle your claim without you having to go through a trial and relive unpleasant memories
- Taking the case to trial if the defendant refuses to pay a fair settlement
Some wrongful death cases require additional work, like hiring expert witnesses to testify in deposition or in court. When we evaluate your case, we will create a plan of attack and modify it when necessary.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Find Out What Our Clients Say About Our Lawyers’ Services
We work relentlessly to get our clients great results. You can see in our client testimonials how happy our clients are with our hard work. Here are a few samples of our five-star Google reviews:
- “Cherry Henault is my atty for the last 2 years and she has taken care of me every step of the way over and over. She won my case and I cannot thank her enough. I highly recommend Cherry to anyone who needs a caring understand atty who becomes your friend and cares. Thank you Cherry Henault.”N. Lana
- “I can’t brag enough about Tiffany from issacs and issacs! She has kept me informed through the whole thing, and explained everything I didn’t understand. Thankful for the whole crew!”!L. Rose
- “I’m very happy with Julianne Tackett. She’s is very professional and explained my case to me to where I could understand get her completely!! I will tell others they need to use Isaac’s and Isaac’s (Julianne Tackett) in the future. Thanks for everything Julianne!!!”M. Jenkins
- “Cherry and Karen have been very helpful to me with my case. They’re very tentative and caring. They both call me regularly to see how I’m doing and to keep me updated on my case. During these difficult times since my accident they continually reassure me that things will work out fine and answer all of my questions.”D. Wright
We do not rest until we have worked hard enough to deserve testimonials like these.
Work With Our Lawyers to Move Forward More Comfortably
Isaacs & Isaacs Personal Injury Lawyers can talk with you about your death in the family and legal options. Our team will do everything possible to achieve the best possible outcome for you and your family. Please feel free to contact us today for a free initial consultation.