The city of Jeffersonville, Indiana, has worked hard to make the area safe for bike riders of all ages. We enjoy local trails and improved riding areas near town hubs. But some drivers are still not keen on sharing the road with bicycles or being aware of bikes. In addition, parts of the road may have some hazards that make riding difficult or even dangerous.
If you have been injured in a bicycle accident, no matter the cause, you may be able to hold negligent parties accountable and recover damages.
Do I Need a Lawyer for My Bicycle Accident?
You can certainly file insurance claims and negotiate a settlement on your own, but you risk accepting an offer much lower than your case is worth. Unfortunately, you may not have the money to fully cover damages, including future medical costs or pain and suffering.
A Jeffersonville bicycle accident lawyer from Isaacs & Isaacs Personal Injury Lawyers can help. We will use our in-depth understanding of Indiana bicycle laws and insurance adjusting tactics to maximize your claim. Focus on your recovery and healing while we focus on:
- Collecting and reviewing the evidence
- Building a case that proves the at-fault party’s negligence
- Negotiating with insurance companies for a better settlement
- Filing a personal injury lawsuit before the statute of limitations runs out
- Advocating for your pain and suffering in court
- Advising you every step of the way
For a free legal consultation with a bicycle accidents lawyer serving Jeffersonville, call 800-333-9999
Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents
Some of the most common causes of bike accidents include:
- Distracted driving, such as driving while texting
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- Aggressive driving, which can cause vehicles to clip bikes or run bikes off the road
- Driving in bike lanes or not providing clearance for bikes
- Not looking for bikes in blind spots before changing lanes or turning
- Failure to yield to cyclists at crosswalks while turning or when bikes have the right of way
- Dooring, which is when a driver opens their door as a bicyclist passes
- Fatigued driving, which can reduce the driver’s response time
Bicycle accidents can also be caused by:
- Bike part malfunctions
- Road hazards, like potholes or debris
Who Is Liable for My Bicycle Accident?
When reviewing your case, a Jeffersonville bicycle accident lawyer will look to the cause of the accident to determine negligent parties. Some at-fault parties may include:
- A driver who failed to share the road or drive safely to prevent an accident
- A municipal agency in charge of maintaining roads and trails
- A bike part manufacturer
We then gather evidence that proves their negligence caused your accident and your subsequent injuries, pain, and suffering. If you were hit by a car, we can help you file insurance claims through a driver’s insurance. If a product malfunction or a road hazard caused your accident, we can file a legal complaint against the company or municipality involved in your accident.
If negotiations with these parties does not provide you with a worthwhile settlement, we can file a lawsuit to prove negligence and demand compensation that best reflects your damages.
Jeffersonville Bicycle Accident Lawyer Near Me 800-333-9999
Bikes Have a Right to the Road
Indiana’s bike laws per IC § 9-21-11 established that bicyclists have the same rights and duties as motorists operating cars, trucks, and motorcycles while on the road. Per Indiana law, drivers must share the road with cyclists and offer the same duty of care.
Indiana did not have a law dictating that vehicles provide a certain safe passing distance when overtaking bicycles for a long time. But in 2019, the government passed a bill that made it law to provide at least 3 feet of passing distance. Drivers are also required to yield to riders in the bike lane, except when at intersections with signals and signs that permit the flow of traffic. Yet motorists still disregard these rules.
How Long Do I Have to File a Lawsuit for My Bike Accident Case?
A bike accident is a type of personal injury case. The statute of limitations for personal injury cases in the state of Indiana is two (2) years per IC § 34-11-2-4.
However, if your bike accident is caused by a faulty bike chain or other part, your situation may be better suited as a product liability case. Regardless, this type of case also has a two-year statute of limitations per IC § 34-20-3-1.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Bicycle Accident Injuries Can Be Severe
Bicyclist do not have the same protections on their vehicle that cars and trucks do. There is no external metal frame or airbags. Riders are more likely to come into direct contact with the ground and property during an accident, increasing the likelihood of severe injuries.
Some of the most common bike accident injuries include:
- Cuts and lacerations
- Bruises and road rash
- Broken bones
- Neck and back injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBIs)
- Internal organ damage
Treating many of these injuries can require a trip to the hospital or emergency room if not a regular doctor. Some injuries may require continued treatment or rehabilitation to heal, while others may never fully heal and can cause permanent damage.
Seeking Compensation for Your Jeffersonville Bicycle Accident
The more severe your accident, the more severe your injuries. Likewise, the more severe your injuries, the more costly and painful your recovery process. But you may be able to seek compensation that covers damages including:
- Medical bills
- Future medical costs
- Lost income
- Lost earning capacity due to short- or long-term disability
- Lost spousal support and funeral costs (if you lost a loved one to a bike accident)
- Emotional trauma
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Scarring and disfigurement
The amount you can receive from your bicycle accident depends on the specific circumstances of your accident. We can calculate your damages and give you an estimate of how much compensation you and your family can receive. To do so, we will look at factors like:
- The cause of your accident
- How many parties are at fault
- The type and severity of your injuries
- How your injuries affect your personal life and ability to work
We will work to get you the maximum amount of compensation so you and your family can alleviate the financial and personal stress the accident has caused.
Isaacs & Isaacs Personal Injury Lawyers Can Help You
At Isaacs & Isaacs Personal Injury Lawyers, we know how devastating a bike accident can be. That is why we are proud to offer our 400+ years of combined experience to help you hold negligent parties accountable. We have successfully won $1 billion in settlements for our clients. We will work tirelessly to recover much-needed compensation for you and your family.
Don’t let the cost of a lawyer stop you from seeking our help. We do not charge upfront fees or costs, and you do not pay fees unless we win or settle your case. Contact our office today.