Car accidents are an unfortunate part of life. They are shocking, tiring, time-consuming, and costly. If you were in a car accident, you may be wondering how you can earn back some of the money you have paid in medical expenses and repairing or replacing your car. Thankfully, an Indianapolis car accident lawyer can help you.
How Can You Reduce the Risk of a Car Accident?
According to the Indiana University Public Policy Institute, there were 739 fatal and 31,194 non-fatal car accidents in the state of Indiana in 2019. While you cannot reduce the chance of an accident to zero, there are steps you can take to protect yourself as much as possible while on the road.
- Never drink or take drugs before driving. Also, read the directions for your prescription medicines carefully. Some medications may affect your ability to drive.
- Cut distractions to a minimum. You should pay more attention to the road than to your passengers or in-car entertainment.
- Never use your cellphone while you are at the wheel.
- You and your passengers should wear seat belts at all times.
- Keep your car well-maintained.
- Observe speed limits.
- Keep a safe distance from other vehicles.
For a free legal consultation with a car accidents lawyer serving Indianapolis, call 800-333-9999
What to Do After a Car Accident
Immediately following a car accident, there are some things you need to do:
- Do not leave the scene, but move your car from the immediate area if there is any danger.
- Call the police and medical services. Get a copy of the accident report from the police.
- Make a note of all relevant details, including as much information as you can.
- Take photos or even a video of the scene. If you are too shaken or hurt to do this, ask a witness to do it for you.
- Exchange contact and insurance information with the other driver(s).
- Talk to witnesses and ask them for their contact information.
- Receive the necessary medical treatment.
- Consider hiring an Indianapolis car accident attorney.
Indianapolis Car Accident Lawyer Near Me 800-333-9999
What Can You Claim Following a Car Accident?
After a car accident, you may choose to file a legal claim against the at-fault party. Some claims are obvious, others less so. Here’s a detailed list of claims you might consider:
- Medical expenses.These include not just emergency treatment, but also any long-term care. You should claim all medical bills, including doctors’ visits, prescriptions, and rehabilitation.
- Lost and/or reduced earnings. If you have to take time off work or work fewer hours, you may claim the money you would have earned.
- Vehicle replacement.You may claim the damage to your car, of course. But don’t forget that if you have to buy or rent a replacement, you may claim this expense too.
- Pain and suffering.Accidents are very stressful and can have long-term effects. In addition to physical pain, you might develop post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) or experience other mental and emotional pain. It is hard to calculate a monetary value for pain and suffering, but your attorney can help you.
Do You Need Legal Representation?
You can represent yourself in legal proceedings if you choose, but legal procedures are complicated. You may choose to seek the advice of an Indianapolis car accident lawyer so you can focus on your physical and mental recovery following your accident.
Get Legal Representation from a Car Accident Lawyer
One option for car accident victims in Indianapolis is Isaacs & Isaacs Personal Injury Lawyers. Our in-house team of attorneys has over 400 years of combined experience. Our firm builds a close, friendly, and professional relationship with our clients. We will keep you informed at every stage of the process while doing all we can to win fair compensation on your behalf.
Isaacs & Isaacs Personal Injury Lawyers leaves no stone unturned – we even have a state-of-the-art mock courtroom for your use before court, should you need it.
Isaacs & Isaacs Personal Injury Lawyers has a proven track record, winning over $1 billion in damages for our clients. If you are more comfortable speaking Spanish, our Spanish-speaking attorneys and paralegals can help you.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
How Much does It Cost to Hire an Indianapolis Car Accident Lawyer?
At Isaacs & Isaacs Personal Injury Lawyers, our attorneys do not collect any fees or costs upfront. If you settle or win your case, you will pay your attorney a portion of your earnings for fees and costs. If you do not win your claim, you do not need to pay your lawyer anything.
When Should I File My Legal Claim?
In Indiana, you generally have to file a claim for compensation within two years of your accident (IC § 34-11-2-4). This statute of limitations might seem like plenty of time. However, you have other things to do, and time can pass quickly. Your best bet is to act now, which will give your personal injury attorney enough time to build a solid case.
Can’t I Settle With an Insurance Company?
Yes, you have every legal right to settle with the at-fault party’s insurance company. However, insurance companies are out to make money, and they employ skilled professionals who may exploit any weakness in your argument for compensation.
You may also find that the insurance company will offer you a sum quite quickly. You are under no obligation to accept this sum, as it will be the lowest amount they think they can get away with. When you hire an attorney, they will fight on your behalf and try to earn you a higher settlement.
Contact Us Today for a Free Consultation
Your first concern after a car accident will naturally be for the welfare of yourself and your passengers. But once you have calmed down, you should carefully consider your next steps. Trying to deal with insurance companies and the court is not your job. Let an Indianapolis car accident lawyer take care of you.
Call Isaacs & Isaacs Personal Injury Lawyers at 1-800-800-8888 for a free consultation. We will do all we can to get you fair compensation.