If a loved one died wrongfully, whether from an accident or an intentional act, a Huntington wrongful death lawyer from Isaacs & Isaacs Personal Injury Lawyers can help you seek the justice your family deserves. An intentional act could be a homicide, robbery, or another criminal event. You can make a claim for damages separate from the criminal charges.
When a death results from an accident, the defendant must have committed a negligent or careless act to be liable in a wrongful death action. Motor vehicle collisions and workplace accidents cause many of the injuries that lead to wrongful death claims. Also, a death caused by a defective product, dangerous medical device, premises liability injury, or another type of injury situation could be grounds for a wrongful death claim.
Types of Compensation Available in Indiana Wrongful Death Cases
IC 34-23-1-1 is the Indiana wrongful death statute that governs these cases. The kinds of damages available depend on who the receiving party is. For example, the estate of the deceased person can pursue recovery of the medical bills from the injury and the reasonable cost of the funeral and burial.
The surviving legal beneficiaries, which can include a surviving spouse, dependent children, and other dependent next-of-kin, can go after damages for their losses as well, which can include:
- The grief and emotional suffering of the survivors
- Loss of the affection and companionship of the decedent
- Loss of the income and support of the deceased person
- Loss of inheritance
The court tends to use “ballpark” methods to determine the amount of future earnings the decedent could have made. The judge will look at factors like the deceased person’s income history, age, health, and life expectancy. Also, benefits experts can calculate an estimate of the amount by which the decedent’s retirement account would likely have increased but for the untimely death.
For a free legal consultation with a wrongful death lawyer serving Huntington, call 800-333-9999
Four Mistakes That Could Hurt Your Wrongful Death Claim
One might think that the economic value of a wrongful death case is set in stone at the time that the victim dies. Multiple issues that can happen after the death could harm the amount of damages you could pursue.
- Every type of lawsuit has a deadline for filing. If you miss the filing deadline, Indiana law can close the door on your right to hold the guilty party accountable for the loss of your loved one. A lawsuit against an individual or company must get filed within two years. A claim against a governmental agency must get filed within six months and go through an administrative process.
- We understand the temptation to post photos or statements about how you feel on social media. Regardless of your privacy settings, the defendant could get access to those items and use them against you in the case. We urge our clients to wait until after the wrongful death case gets resolved before going back on social media.
- It can also be attempting to contact the at-fault party and let them know how their careless or wrongful conduct turned your life upside-down, but doing so would be a mistake. Let us fight your battles for you. A confrontation with the defendant will only hurt your wrongful death claim or lawsuit.
- Sometimes, people think they only need a lawyer to represent them if they did something wrong. Trying to handle your wrongful death case as a DIY project could cost you a great deal of money if you accept a lowball offer. Just as you would not try to take on the entire Notre Dame football team by yourself, our Huntington wrongful death lawyer can even the playing field for you.
These are but a few examples of things that could go wrong in your case, honest mistakes, that could take money out of your pocket in your wrongful death case.
Huntington Wrongful Death Lawyer Near Me 800-333-9999
Read Our Five Star Google Reviews for Our Lawyers
It is one thing for us to tell you how hard we work for our clients to get the compensation they deserve, but we think you would rather hear it from our clients. Here are just a few of the many five-star Google reviews they posted:
- “Good professional understanding people. This is the second time John and Tiffany has represented me due to injuries from a car accident. I feel like they genuinely has care and concern for their clients. They really work hard to make sure you get justice for your pain and loss. I would highly recommend this law firm.” D. Letcher
- “I could not be happier with the assistance I received at Isaacs and Isaacs with my personal injury case. My attorney was empathetic with my concerns and guided me every step of the way. I was not familiar at all with the process, but he made it simple by explaining each step clearly, honestly and timely. Easy communication from beginning to end with a positive outcome. Rest assured and look no further than Isaacs and Isaacs.” S. Schmidt
- “I can’t brag enough about Tiffany from issacs and issacs! She has kept me informed through the whole thing, and explained everything I didn’t understand. Thankful for the whole crew!!” L. Rose
- “The people are very friendly with this firm and are always willing to help in any way. Are sympathetic to what you are dealing with. This is the second time we have used this firm. I would recommend them to anyone!” S. Hensley
Come find out why our clients are so happy with our services.
Getting Help from a Huntington Wrongful Death Attorney
You can contact us today to get your free initial consultation. There is no obligation.
If we take your wrongful death case in Huntington County, you will not have to pay any upfront legal fees or costs. We wait until the end of the matter and then receive a previously-agreed percentage of the settlement proceeds or verdict and reimbursement of costs.
At Isaacs & Isaacs Personal Injury Lawyers, you can count on lawyers to work tirelessly to get you the compensation that you and your family deserve. We treat our clients with compassion and respect, and we take the time to listen to you and answer any questions.