Bicycle accidents involving motor vehicles commonly result in severe, debilitating injuries, long-lasting pain, and disability. Even cyclists who wear a helmet and other protective gear are highly vulnerable if a collision with a motorist occurs. They do not have much to shield them from the force of an impact and can easily be knocked off or thrown from their bike if they are struck by a car or truck.
Fortunately, if you were injured in a bicycle accident, our attorneys at Isaacs & Isaacs Personal Injury Lawyers are here to help. Our Hobart bicycle accident lawyers can help you recover the compensation you need to account for your losses from the parties responsible for your injuries.
Our personal injury firm has recovered $1 billion in settlements for our clients, and our lawyers have more than 400 years of total legal experience.
Benefits of Having Our Bicycle Accident on Your Side
Our attorneys can handle your bicycle accident case from start to finish by doing the following:
- Obtaining proof of your injuries and, in detail, how they are impacting your life
- Filing a claim with the other party’s insurer and working to negotiate a favorable settlement
- Taking your case to court if the insurer doesn’t offer you the compensation to which you are entitled
We Search for and Analyze Evidence To Support Your Claim
In addition to your own recollection of the accident, your attorney will collect additional information and evidence to prove the other person is responsible for the losses you’ve sustained. This evidence could include:
- Police reports
- Eyewitness statements
- Photos and available surveillance videos of the accident scene
Speak with your bicycle accident lawyer as soon as possible so they can secure evidence before it’s lost.
We Prove Fault in Your Bicycle Accident in Hobart
Your bicycle accident attorney can demonstrate how the other party was negligent and responsible for your injuries based on the following conditions:
- The other party owed you a duty of care or to take reasonable measures to ensure your safety.
- The other party breached (violated) that duty through their actions or inactions.
- This breach resulted in an accident.
- This accident caused physical, emotional, or financial losses, such as medical expenses, lost income, and pain and suffering.
For a free legal consultation with a bicycle accidents lawyer serving Hobart, call 800-333-9999
What Is Comparative Negligence and How Does It Affect Your Case?
If a cyclist’s actions contributed to an accident’s cause, their share of fault will not prevent them from recovering damages unless they were more than 50% to blame for causing their injuries. Indiana’s comparative negligence rule imposed by IC § 34-51-2-5 may reduce the amount recoverable by an amount proportionate to their fault.
For example, if a traffic accident occurs and the court finds a driver 80% responsible for passing too close and the cyclist 20% responsible for riding too far left, then the cyclist’s damage award would be decreased by 20%.
Hobart Bicycle Accident Lawyer Near Me 800-333-9999
Bicycle Accident Causes and Injuries That Could Be Involved in Your Case
Our attorneys serving Hobart are familiar with many types of bicycle accident cases, including those caused by the following:
- Intoxicated drivers
- Distracted drivers
- Careless or reckless drivers
- A driver opening a door into a cyclist’s path
- A driver turning in front of a cyclist without seeing them
- A driver merging into a cyclist’s lane when they are in their blind spot
- Dangerous road conditions
- Failing to yield, disregarding traffic signals
- Following too closely
Bicycle accidents can cause potentially life-threatening injuries and leave victims with permanent medical problems, such as the following:
- Traumatic brain injury
- Concussions and other head injuries
- Internal bleeding
- Organ damage
- Cuts, lacerations, abrasions, and road rash
- Broken and dislocated bones
- Neck, back, and spinal cord injuries
If you’ve incurred injuries due to a bike accident, seek medical care and follow your doctor’s instructions—not only for your own health and well-being, but to avoid compromising your personal injury case.
Recoverable Awards for Your Bicycle Accident Injuries
Your bicycle accident lawyer can help you pursue compensation for many damages, such as the following:
- Property damage
- Medical expenses, such as ambulance services, emergency care, hospitalization, doctor visits, etc.
- Past and future loss of income
- Physical pain and suffering
- Emotional anguish
- Long-term or permanent disability
- Scarring and disfigurement
- Loss of consortium
- Loss of life enjoyment
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Our Team Can Help You Pursue Wrongful Death Damages After Losing Family
If you are the surviving relative of a loved one who was fatally injured in a bicycle accident, you could file a wrongful death lawsuit against liable parties. However, you must do this within two years of the decedent’s passing under IC § 34-23-1-1. Recoverable damages might include the deceased’s lost income, funeral and burial expenses, loss of companionship, pain and suffering, and more.
Other Negligent Parties That Could Be Responsible for Your Hobart Accident
Notably, many, but not all bicycle accidents are the fault of motor vehicle drivers. Other parties could be responsible in these instances, though. You could recover compensation because of the negligence of the following parties:
- A manufacturer may be responsible for a faulty bike or part
- A bicycle shop may be responsible for a defective bike sale or rental
- A government agency may be responsible for a highway or freeway defect, road disrepair, or other traffic hazard
You could recover damages for injuries and other losses related to a bike accident in any of these cases. However, your claim against the other party might require a lengthy legal process if a settlement cannot be reached.
You Have To Pay Attention To the Timeline on Lawsuits in Indiana
A statute of limitations imposed by IC § 34-23-1-1 applies to bicycle accident lawsuits. You must file this lawsuit within two years of losing your loved one or discovering their passing. For this reason and others, you should not delay speaking with your bicycle accident lawyer, who will ensure all legal deadlines are met.
Why You Should Contact Us for a Consultation
Through a comprehensive assessment of your circumstances, we can help you determine who is responsible for compensating you. Our team can also establish what monetary damages you might be entitled to receive for the accident and injuries.
At Isaacs & Isaacs Personal Injury Lawyers, we do not charge any fees until we win or successfully settle your case, as we operate on a contingency-fee basis. So, you have nothing to risk by contacting us today for a free and confidential case review.