Bicycle accidents are a commonality in residential areas and cities. Some of the safety regulations governing cyclists require trail users to yield the right-of-way to traffic. Unfortunately, these accidents still happen.
If you or a family member sustained injuries in this manner, you could hold the at-fault party accountable. A bicycle accident lawyer has experience investigating such cases and putting together winning claims, so you get financial recovery.
Understanding Bicycle Accidents in Frankfort
Bicycle accidents can happen in many ways, affecting who is potentially responsible for the crash. The different types are as follows:
- Bicyclist versus bicyclist
- Bicyclist versus motorist
- Bicyclist versus pedestrian
- Bicyclist versus the government
- Bicyclist versus obstacles, like trash cans
- Bicyclist versus the manufacturer
For a free legal consultation with a bicycle accidents lawyer serving Frankfort-KY, call 800-333-9999
Risk Factors for Bicycle Accidents
The following risk factors heighten the risk of bicycle accidents and ensuing injuries:
- Inability to control the bike due to mechanical failure
- Not wearing safety gear, like a helmet and reflectors
- Errors by motorists, such as distracted driving
- Riding under the influence of alcohol or illicit substances
- No bike trails or poor maintenance of bike paths
- Poorly designed crosswalks
- Hidden traffic signs
- Lack of safety inspections and necessary repairs
- Poor road maintenance
- Environmental hazards, like a rainstorm or ghastly winds
Frankfort-KY Bicycle Accident Lawyer Near Me 800-333-9999
Injuries From Bicycle Accidents
As you can imagine, an accident between a bicycle and a vehicle usually leaves the cyclist with more injuries than the car’s occupants. Some of the injuries you can expect include:
Like wearing a helmet, safety precautions are essential when riding a bicycle, but you can still get injured in a crash.
Jaw and Dental Fractures
Upon impact, falling off your bike exposes your mouth to many injuries like breaking your jaw, chipping teeth, and breaking mandibles. Some orthodontist issues are easy to resolve, while others require several interventions before normalcy.
Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Apart from minor head injuries, some victims of bicycle crashes suffer from TBIs, which can be fatal. This damage can result from a violent jolt, blunt force, or an object penetrating the skull. If the impact is strong enough, you can end up with torn tissues and bleeding, which can have enduring effects and possibly death.
It’s common to find riders with dislodged joints in line with the angle they meet the ground. Dislocation also depends on how the crash happened and the forces of impact.
Consider these two scenarios:
- If a cyclist approaches a car at a sharp angle, a collision can send the cyclist falling away from the car
- If a cyclist approaches a vehicle at a wider angle, they may suffer less harm, but there is a higher likelihood of falling toward the car
Riders often fall off the bike upon impact with a hard object or a vehicle. The sudden thrust can leave you flying and then landing on the asphalt on your side or facedown. If you attempted to break the fall with your hand or leg, you could fracture your wrist, elbow, knee, etc.
Things To Do After a Bicycle Accident
Getting into a near-death crash can leave you disoriented and not knowing what to do momentarily.
Isaacs & Isaacs Personal Injury Lawyers advise clients to take the following measures as soon as possible:
- Call 911 to report the accident and ask for medical assistance
- Remain at the scene or move to a safer area away from the flow of traffic
- Get the insurance details and phone numbers of the motorists involved
- Speak to eyewitnesses and get their contact information
- Refrain from admitting fault or accepting payment until you consult an attorney
- Document the scene with meticulous attention to the angle of collision, bodily harm, the flow of traffic, etc.
- Call your insurance provider to report the accident and find out how they can pay for medical expenses
- Hire a bicycle accident lawyer to start gathering and reviewing the evidence
We recommend receiving treatment even if you must miss work and other responsibilities. Failure to get timely medical assistance can be detrimental to your health and hurt your case.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Damages You Can Recover After a Bicycle Accident
After going through this ordeal and the fallout – such as dealing with insurance adjusters and taking time to recuperate – the next big question is compensation. Your attorney is practical at keeping a detailed account of what a victim like you is going through during recovery.
Your lawyer can seek damages as follows:
- Medical treatment (now and in the future)
- Rehabilitative procedures
- Medical equipment and prescriptions
- Lost income
- Diminished or lost future earnings
- Disability benefits if your injuries keep you from working permanently
Contact Our Frankfort Bicycle Accident Lawyer for Legal Counsel
Bicycle accidents are just as dangerous as motor accidents. Victims can sustain minor to severe injuries and, in extreme cases, death. Isaacs & Isaacs Personal Injury Lawyers can handle all the legalities while you focus on receiving treatment.
You benefit from an in-house litigation team of experts who have a proven track record of winning significant settlements when you hire us. Our attorneys are licensed in several states, including Kentucky, Illinois, Nevada, Texas, and Ohio. Contact us for a free consultation and legal counsel.