If your close family member died because of a wrongful act, a Fort Wayne wrongful death lawyer from Isaacs & Isaacs Personal Injury Lawyers can help. They will assist you in holding the at-fault party responsible for the losses caused by their actions or inaction.
A lawyer from our injury firm can handle all other aspects of your case so you and your family can mourn your loss.
What Constitutes Wrongful Death in Fort Wayne, IN
IC 34-23-1-1 says a wrongful act or omission that causes someone else’s death can make the at-fault party liable for the losses caused by the fatality. The wrongful act could be carelessness without the intent to take another person’s life. Also, a criminal act, like assault, could be the basis for a wrongful death case.
Here are some examples of conduct that could lead to a wrongful death claim:
- A pharmacist fills a prescription with the wrong medication, and that drug causes the death of the patient.
- An understaffed nursing home does not respond to residents calling for help in a timely manner. As a result, one of the residents dies.
- A drunk driver causes a fatal car accident.
- A police officer accidentally hits a pedestrian with the police car during a high-speed chase in a crowded downtown area, violating department policy.
- The balcony of a hotel room collapses, killing a hotel guest.
Whether accidental or intentional, wrongful conduct that takes the life of another person can make an individual liable.
For a free legal consultation with a wrongful death lawyer serving Fort Wayne, call 800-333-9999
People Eligible to Pursue an Allen County Wrongful Death Claim
Indiana law creates two categories of parties who can receive money damages from a successful wrongful death case.
- The estate of the deceased person can recover medical bills as well as funeral and burial expenses.
- The legal beneficiaries of the deceased person, which could include the surviving spouse, dependent children, and others, could receive money damages for their losses. This includes the financial support and services of the decedent, loss of the affection and companionship of the deceased relative, other financial impacts, and more.
We will explore the possibility of additional losses in your case.
Fort Wayne Wrongful Death Lawyer Near Me 800-333-9999
See How Our Lawyers Have Helped Our Clients
We work tirelessly for our clients, and it shows in our many five-star Google reviews. Here are a few examples:
- “This team is amazing! Such wonderful people who truly care about you and your family. They fight extremely hard to get you the justice your family deserves. They did for my dad. I don’t believe anyone else could have done what they have done.” C. Short
- “Cherry and Karen have been very helpful to me with my case. They’re very tentative and caring. They both call me regularly to see how I’m doing and to keep me updated on my case. During these difficult times since my accident they continually reassure me that things will work out fine and answer all of my questions.” D. Wright
- “I could not be happier with the assistance I received at Isaacs and Isaacs with my personal injury case. My attorney was empathetic with my concerns and guided me every step of the way. I was not familiar at all with the process, but he made it simple by explaining each step clearly, honestly and timely. Easy communication from beginning to end with a positive outcome. Rest assured and look no further than Isaacs and Isaacs.” S. Schmidt
- “Nick Alexiou was the attorney on my case, he kept me well informed about my case. He, along with other staff members have earned a 5 star rating from me. I appreciate all there help and would definitely recommend my family and friends. Thank you all at Isaacs & Isaacs for your expertise, experience and professionalism.” L.K. Rochae
You can count on our dedication to getting the best result possible in your wrongful death case.
Our Attorneys Work on a Contingency-Fee Basis
We understand that you are dealing with a great deal right now following the loss of your relative. We do not wish to put any additional stress on your plate. You will not have to pay any upfront legal fees or costs for us to handle your wrongful death claim. We use a fee arrangement called contingency fees.
We only get paid if you win. We wait until the end of the matter and then receive a percentage of the settlement proceeds or verdict for our legal fees. You do not have to be wealthy to get our help.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Three Mistakes to Avoid if You Have a Wrongful Death Case
Here are three common mistakes people can make if they try to handle their wrongful death claim on their own without legal help:
- Accepting a lowball settlement offer. We use information from other cases similar to yours to determine the amount of compensation a jury would be likely to award. If you do not have access to data like this, you might only get pennies on the dollar from the liability insurance company. Unrepresented plaintiffs often find out later that they should have gotten much more money for their claim.
- Delay. If you wait too long to file a lawsuit on your wrongful death case, Indiana law could prevent you from seeking compensation for the death of your loved one. You only have two years to file a case in court for wrongful death, per IC § 34-11-2-4. If your claim is against a government entity, like a police department, you only have six months to file an administrative claim.
- Assuming that you can get more money later from the defendant. When you sign settlement documents, you waive the right to ever seek more compensation from the defendant for the loss of your family member. If you forget to include something in your claim, you cannot go back and ask for more money.
You can avoid these and other unwanted outcomes by working with our Fort Wayne wrongful death lawyer rather than trying to handle your claim on your own.
Getting Help from Our Fort Wayne Wrongful Death Lawyer
Isaacs & Isaacs Personal Injury Lawyers help injury victims and families of victims of wrongful death. We can evaluate your situation at no charge to you to determine the best course of action for you and your family. You can contact us today to get started.