Even though all motorists have a legal duty to drive safely, bus drivers are held to a different standard. Buses involved in an accident can cause serious injuries to all passengers involved. When you have been in a bus accident, it is important to establish who is the liable party.
That person may be responsible for your injuries when you decide to file a bus accident claim.
But filing a bus accident claim is one aspect of the legal process. You want to ensure that your actions throughout the claim process give you the best chance at obtaining compensation.
An Elsmere bus accident lawyer at Isaacs & Isaacs is well-versed in Kentucky’s laws surrounding bus accident claims. We can help make the claim process as stress-free as possible.
What an Elsmere Bus Accident Attorney Can Do with Your Case
A bus accident lawyer can help explain the claims process and file on your behalf. Many bus accident victims believe filing a lawsuit is the best way to seek compensation. A bus accident lawyer can assess the best way to proceed with your claim, including settling out of court or reaching a verdict through the courts.
Settling may be the best solution for bus accident victims who want to seek compensation as soon as possible. Bus accident attorneys in Elsmere, KY, will use their expertise to fight for the financial compensation you deserve for your injuries.
For a free legal consultation with a bus accidents lawyer serving Elsmere, call 800-333-9999
How a Bus Accident Claim Works
Bus accident claims can be more complex than victims believe. Depending on who is established as the liable party, you may file a claim with their insurance company. In this claim, you would list the damages caused by your accident. This would include medical expenses, lost income, pain and suffering, and even burial expenses if your loved one died from the accident. If you want to settle with the insurance company, you will write a demand letter to the insurance company explaining why you are owed compensation from the liable party.
If the insurance company does not want to pay out your claim, you may have a chance to mediate and come to an agreed settlement amount for your compensation. If you and the insurance company cannot agree, your claim may progress to court. Sometimes, the insurance company will consent and agree to your demands before your trial begins. If not, a bus accident lawyer can prepare you for each step of the process.
Elsmere Bus Accident Lawyer Near Me 800-333-9999
Proving Negligence in a Bus Accident
Whether you decide to settle your claim or progress to a trial, you will have to prove the liable person’s negligence in your bus accident. Negligence is the legal standard that the courts will use to determine how responsible someone is in an accident.
Negligence is established through four elements with the help of a bus accident lawyer in Elsmere, KY:
- Duty. The liable person must have owed you a legal obligation to act in your best interest.
- Breach. The liable person’s actions must have been a breach of that duty that they owed you. This can be proven by the person’s actions or lack of action.
- Causation. The liable person’s breach of duty must be directly connected to the harm you were placed in.
- Damages. There must be an example of the harm that the liable person has caused you.
Your injuries or other damages can prove this.
Common Causes of Bus Accidents
Many causes of bus accidents can prove a person’s negligence. Some of these common causes include:
- Bus driver negligence. Bus drivers can cause accidents when driving while tired or under the influence. Bus drivers can also engage in aggressive driving like other motorists.
- Car driver negligence. Like bus drivers, other car drivers can cause bus accidents by cutting other drivers off or failing to yield the right of way. Many drivers try to cut buses off to avoid driving behind them.
- Bus company negligence. Bus companies can cause bus accidents when they fail to inspect buses properly. Buses should be properly inspected before returning to the road. But companies will fail to check a bus’s tires or brakes over time.
- Defective parts. Even if buses are not driven on the roads, vehicle manufacturers can cause accidents if the parts are defective from the beginning. Unfortunately, drivers won’t find out until it’s too late.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Dealing with Multiple Parties in a Bus Accident
Because several parties can be held liable, bus accident claims can become difficult to prosecute. That is why a bus accident lawyer is necessary. We can determine who to hold liable for your accident based on the circumstances.
Determining liability may also be based on the type of bus involved in the accident. If your accident involved a school bus, you might be able to hold the school district liable for your injuries.
If your accident involved a charter bus, the bus company might be liable for your injuries. A certain government agency might be liable if the accident involved a public transit bus.
Holding Other Entities Liable
When your bus accident involves a school bus or a public transit bus, you may have to file a claim against the government agency. Because some government agencies are responsible for public transportation, they can be liable for bus accidents.
The process is a bit stricter when you file a claim with a government agency. The statute of limitations is shorter, and the government agency has the power to accept your claim or not.
Hiring an Elsmere Bus Accident Lawyer
When considering hiring a bus accident lawyer, you should schedule a free consultation with the bus accident lawyers at Isaacs & Isaacs. At your consultation, your lawyer will be able to determine what the best time will be for you to file your claim. You can also learn more about how our bus accident lawyers can assist with your claim.
Contact an Elsmere bus accident lawyer today
You deserve to be compensated to the fullest extent when you have been involved in a bus accident. Consult with the Elsmere bus accident lawyers at Isaacs & Isaacs to learn how we can make the claim process stress-free for you.