Due to the sheer difference in size, weight, and speed compared to vehicles, bicycles are likely to result in life-threatening injuries and even death during accidents. If you’ve been injured in a bicycle accident in Danville due to someone else’s negligence, you may be entitled to recover compensation for all damages incurred.
Consult a bicycle accident lawyer who understands the laws that apply to cyclists for help filing a claim and reviewing all the legal options available.
The Role of a Danville Bicycle Accident Lawyer
Even though riding a bicycle in Danville can be fun, it exposes cyclists to many challenges and dangers. Many motorists promote the misconception that cyclists shouldn’t be riding their bikes on public roads, which is not true. This bias only results in bicycle accidents that could have been avoided.
If a motorist is liable for the accident, you can file a claim with their insurance provider. However, insurance claims involving bicycle accidents tend to be complicated. As a result, the insurance provider might offer a low settlement that may not be enough to cover your medical expenses and other damages. It’s in your best interests to hire a lawyer who can represent you in the case and ensure that your legal rights are protected.
A Danville bicycle accident lawyer can help your case in the following ways:
- Advise you on whether you have a viable claim
- Investigate the cause of the bicycle accident and gather evidence
- Interview witnesses who were present at the scene
- Obtain police reports and medical records
- Handle all communications with the defendant’s team
- Consult accident reconstruction experts to help prove liability
- Consider all damages incurred and come up with an appropriate value for your claim
- Negotiate a fair settlement on your behalf
- Represent you in a court trial if a settlement isn’t reached
For a free legal consultation with a bicycle accidents lawyer serving Danville, call 800-333-9999
Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents
Even though most bicycle accidents involve bicycles alone, other crashes involve vehicles. Bicycle-vehicle accidents happen due to various reasons, including:
- Distracted driving, making it hard for motorists to see approaching bicycles
- Weaving through traffic
- Unsafe lane changing
- Drowsy drivers
- Road and sidewalk defects
- Driving under the influence (DUI)
- Bad weather conditions
- Motorists driving too close to bicycles
Danville Bicycle Accident Lawyer Near Me 800-333-9999
State Bicycle Laws
In some states, a bicycle is defined as a vehicle propelled solely by human power. Therefore, cyclists have the same rights and responsibilities as motorists. Even though some states may not require helmets, other bicycle-specific laws have been designed to keep cyclists, motorists, and pedestrians safe on the road.
- Cyclists must always ride with the traffic flow and keep on the right side as possible
- More than two cyclists are not allowed to ride side-by-side unless they’re on a bike path and not impeding traffic
- Cyclists are permitted to ride on sidewalks except where local ordinances prohibit them
- Cyclists are required to use audible signals when overtaking other bicycles
- Cyclists are required to stop at traffic stop signs
- Cyclists shouldn’t carry a passenger unless their bike is designed for it
- Cyclists shouldn’t ride with packages that prevent them from having at least one hand on the handlebars
- All bicycles must have reflectors and white headlights to increase visibility
- Cyclists shouldn’t wear earphones or headsets while on the road
Who Is Liable for a Bicycle Accident?
Most people usually assume that motorists are always liable for bicycle accidents, which is not true. If a cyclist rides negligently and doesn’t follow traffic rules, they may easily cause accidents. In other cases, cyclists could be partially responsible for the accidents. This means they may recover reduced compensation depending on the degree to which they were at fault.
Therefore, don’t discard any evidence you may have collected at the accident scene until your lawyer advises you. This includes pictures, videos, the damaged bicycle, and even your clothing.
Complete a Free Case Evaluation form now
Damages You Can Recover in a Bicycle Accident Claim
In Danville, victims of bicycle accidents can receive financial compensation for economic and non-economic damages incurred. This compensation is intended to make them whole again and reinstate them to their financial position before the bicycle accidents.
These damages include:
- Medical expenses
- Rehabilitation and physical therapy expenses
- Lost wages
- Lost earning capacity
- Lost benefits
- Out-of-pocket expenses, such as transport costs
- Pain and suffering
- Scarring and disfigurement
- Mental anguish
- Loss of consortium
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Funeral and burial expenses if the bicyclist died in the accident
The Statute of Limitations
In Kentucky, bicycle accident victims have up to one year from the date of the accident to file a personal injury claim. However, this doesn’t mean you have only one year to prove liability and settle the case. You have one year to file the claim and begin the litigation process of recovering compensation from the liable parties.
If the time elapses and you have not yet filed the claim, your case can be deemed invalid, and you can lose your right to compensation. Therefore, it’s in your best interests to reach out to a Danville bicycle accident lawyer as soon as possible to start working on your case.
Contact Isaacs & Isaacs Personal Injury Lawyers for Legal Help
Bicycle accident cases are not as simple as many people think. You may have to pursue compensation from multiple parties or a government agency, which makes hiring a Danville bicycle accident lawyer a crucial step. Isaacs & Isaacs Personal Injury Lawyers are ready to handle every aspect of your case and ensure that you get fair compensation. Call us today for a free consultation and legal help.