Tractor trailers or “big rig” truck accidents are among the most catastrophic due to the size and weight of these vehicles and the tremendous force involved in a collision. As a result, accident survivors often sustain severe and life-threatening injuries and experience physical and emotional trauma. Fortunately, legal remedies are available to compensate those who need it most.
When you take advantage of a free consultation with Isaacs & Issacs Personal Injury Lawyers, we’ll review your case and explain your legal rights and options carefully. Then, our Bowling Green big rig truck accident lawyer will begin investigating your accident, collecting evidence, and communicating with liable parties and insurers on your behalf. You can feel safe knowing we’re working hard for you, leaving you free to focus on your recovery.
What Damages Can Be Recovered in a Bowling Green Big Rig Truck Accident?
Receiving maximum compensation means being awarded damages for all the losses you’ve incurred due to a big rig truck accident. A personal injury attorney can help you understand what types of damages you may be eligible to receive based on the details of your accident, the severity of your injuries, and how both have impacted your life.
Although each claim is unique, all motor accident victims are allowed to seek the following damages:
- Medical bills: Past and future injury-related healthcare expenses, such as emergency care, hospitalization, surgeries, rehabilitation, doctor visits, medical devices, and prescription drugs
- Property damage: The cost to repair or replace a vehicle and other personal property
- Lost wages: Lost income due to missing work while in recovery and diminished future earning capacity for long-term disability
- Pain and suffering: Physical pain, emotional distress, and post-traumatic stress disorder
- Other personal losses: Scarring and disfigurement, diminished quality of life, or the lost enjoyment of life or a loved one’s companionship
- Punitive damages: Receivable by some survivors of big rig truck accidents involving gross negligence or intent to harm to penalize the liable party(s)
- Wrongful death damages: Receivable by loved ones of persons fatally injured in big rig truck accidents due to another party’s negligence, such as funeral and burial expenses
For a free legal consultation with a big rig truck accidents lawyer serving Bowling Green, call 800-333-9999
Who Can Be Held Liable for a Bowling Green Big Rig Truck Accident?
According to the Kentucky Transportation Center (KTC), in 2020, large trucks weighing at least 10,000 pounds were involved in 1,315 injury collisions and 106 collisions involving fatalities in the state. Many of these accidents were due to negligence by the truck driver and trucking company.
Other liable parties can include the truck owner, cargo loading company, truck maintenance team, truck or parts manufacturer, or at-fault third-party driver. Also, if a city, county, or state agency is negligent in designing or maintaining a road and a big rig truck accident occurs, that agency may be liable for damages.
The Truck Driver
Negligence is a legal principle loosely defined as a party’s failure to act with the reasonable care expected under the circumstances. For example, truck drivers, like all motorists, owe a duty to others on the road to drive safely and avoid accidents.
However, truck drivers are also human and can make many of the same errors as everyday motorists, such as driving distracted or too fast for conditions. Unfortunately, when a truck driver makes a mistake, there can be particularly severe and lethal consequences.
Many big rig accidents occur because the operator loses control of their truck due to factors such as driver fatigue or poor decision-making, bad weather, mechanical failure, or improper cargo loading. When a loss of control occurs with a vehicle of this size, accidents can result in the truck rolling over, jackknifing, or colliding head-on with much smaller cars and trucks that don’t stand a chance of bearing the brunt of the impact.
The Trucking Company
If a trucking company, cargo company, or another party contributed to an accident due to negligence, they could be at least partially liable for the survivor’s losses. For example, negligent actions might include the following:
- Failing to repair or replace defective equipment, like brakes
- Poor cargo securement or overloading
- Poor fleet maintenance
- Bending or breaking truck driving safety regulations
A trucking company could also be indirectly responsible for truck driver error under certain circumstances, including:
- The driver was pressured to work past hours-of-service regulations, thereby causing fatigue and decreased attention span.
- The driver was allowed to work despite being improperly trained.
- The company failed to perform driver background checks.
- The company failed to conduct drug or alcohol testing.
Because collisions involving big rig trucks can be more complicated than other accidents, it’s imperative to have an attorney who can identify all potentially liable parties in a case and prove they are responsible for compensating survivors for their injury-related losses.
Bowling Green Big Rig Truck Accident Lawyer Near Me 800-333-9999
How Else Can a Bowling Green Big Rig Truck Accident Lawyer Help?
Although identifying liable parties and calculating losses are essential tasks of a personal injury attorney, much more work is to be done before and after to build a solid case and ensure your allegations can be proven in court, if necessary. Other vital duties your lawyer will handle include the following:
- Thorough accident investigation, including photographs and video of the scene, if possible
- Evidence collection and preservation, including the truck operator’s driving logs and records, the trucking company’s maintenance records, and the truck’s black box or ECM
- Obtainment of eyewitness information and statements
- Consultations with medical professionals and accident reconstructionists who can provide expert testimony
- Negotiation with insurance companies and liable parties to seek a fair settlement
- Proceeding with legal action if necessary, including filing motions, deposing witnesses, and representing you in court
Contact a Bowling Green Big Rig Truck Accident Lawyer Today
If you’ve been injured in a big rig truck accident, we encourage you to contact Isaacs & Isaacs Personal Injury Lawyers as soon as possible for an initial consultation. We will examine your case and immediately begin working to protect your rights to fair compensation for your many losses.