Even though bicycles offer a healthy means of transportation and recreation activity, cycling can be hazardous, especially on the roads. Sadly, bicycle accidents are common across the U.S. and can leave victims with several injuries and damages.
If you or a loved one is a victim of a bicycle accident, you may have a right to claim compensation from the at-fault party. Contact a bicycle accident lawyer to protect your legal rights and get legal help to claim the compensation you deserve.
Causes of Bicycle Accidents in Bloomington
Several things can cause bicycle accidents. However, one of the most common causes is a motor vehicle driver’s negligence. Vehicle drivers are sometimes distracted by their cell phones and car radios. In some cases, negligent behaviors such as speeding, tailgating, or weaving in and out of traffic can easily cause an accident.
Other causes of accidents include:
- A vehicle passing a cyclist then making a right turn into the path of an oncoming cyclist
- Motorists pulling out from a parking lot, alleyway, driveway, or street into the path of a cyclist
- A driver making a left turn then pulling into the path of an oncoming cyclist
- Cyclists being struck by a motorist in a rear or sideswipe collision
- Improper maintenance of sidewalk and walkways lead to significant gaps, potholes, and cracks on the pavement, leaving motorists vulnerable
- Road debris and wet pavement can cause a cyclist to lose control of their bicycle
- Defective bicycle parts and mechanisms failure can cause cyclists to lose control.
- Drugs and alcohol impair a driver’s or a cyclist’s sense of judgment, and this can cause them to crash
- Poor weather conditions, such as poor visibility due to fog, rain, and snow, can make cyclists invisible, causing motorists to lose sight of t
It is important to note that the cause of the accident can also determine the at-fault party. Your lawyer can investigate the accident, determine the liable party, and file a claim or lawsuit against them.
For a free legal consultation with a bicycle accidents lawyer serving Bloomington, call 800-333-9999
What To Do After a Bicycle Accident
Like any other accident, what you do or say can affect your claim. To protect your claim and increase your chances of fair compensation, here is what you should do immediately after the accident:
- Dial 911: It’s crucial to call the police and report the accident, regardless of your injuries or damages. The police play a significant role in determining fault as they prepare a report, which is vital evidence in your claim.
- Collect Evidence at the Scene: Suppose your injuries aren’t severe. In that case, you should collect witness statements and contact information, pictures of the scene, and photographs of your injuries.
- Call Your Insurer: Though you may not have motor vehicle insurance, call your homeowner’s insurance provider to know if your policy can cover your medical costs as you process the claim. You can also contact your medical insurance provider. However, avoid engaging with the at-fault insurance company without legal representation.
- Seek Medical Attention: It’s essential to seek medical attention regardless of the severity of your injuries. Treat and document any minor or severe injury, including bruises and scrapes. Some injuries fail to show up immediately after the accident. Seeing a doctor immediately after the accident may be the only way to prove that your injuries are accident-related.
- Document Your Healing Journey and Keep Records: It can significantly help your case if you collect adequate evidence to support it when claiming compensation. Therefore, it is best to record all your accident and injury-related expenses. It may also be helpful to keep a journal of how the injuries have impacted your life.
- Consult a Lawyer: Obtaining the help of a bicycle accident lawyer as soon as possible after the accident is essential. If you want to pursue compensation, it may be best to hire a lawyer and learn your rights. Your lawyer can advise you on protecting your claim and help you pursue maximum compensation.
Bloomington Bicycle Accident Lawyer Near Me 800-333-9999
Damages in Bicycle Accidents
Victims dealing with expenses and losses can claim various economic and non-economic damages, such as:
- Current and future medical bills
- Lost wages
- Rehabilitation and physical therapy costs
- Loss of future income
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of consortium
- Funeral and burial costs if the accident was fatal
Your claim value can depend on your injuries’ severity and the effects of the accident on your life. Your lawyer can value your claim and negotiate a settlement with the liable party. If you cannot settle the claim, they can file a lawsuit and take the case to court. It may be best to work with a bicycle accident lawyer to ensure you claim maximum compensation and avoid taking a low-ball offer.
Contact Our Bloomington Bicycle Accident Lawyer for Legal Help
If you’re a recent victim of a bicycle accident, you should consider getting in touch with a lawyer as soon as possible. Your lawyer can guide you through the claims process, protect your rights, and ensure you file the claim according to state laws.
We are ready to handle your claim at Isaacs & Isaacs Personal Injury Lawyers and get you the best outcome. Call us today for a free case review.